Crossbow and pike tactics

Oct 2011
Croatia
I have read that John Hunyadi and Matthias Corvinus used a mix of pike-armed pavesarii, men-at-arms (clipeati / armati) armed with poleaxes and crossbowmen. These were apparently often deployed in infantry squares, with cavalry being sheltered within the square until a counterattack - which was a tactic used since much earlier by Byzantine armies. I had also found mentions of early Spanish tercios - from 15th century - utilizing crossbows, as well as Chinese armies utilizing pike-and-shot tactics with crossbows. Persians may also have utilized such tactics against steppe nomads.

What are specifics of these tactics?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
I'm not an expert on this but am very interested. My understanding is for pre-gunpowder pike formations the pike was the main weapon, crossbows being more support weapons. Corvinus's army was notable for having large amounts of gunpowder for the time, I think as high as 25% of the force.

Oct 2011
Croatia
I'm not an expert on this but am very interested. My understanding is for pre-gunpowder pike formations the pike was the main weapon, crossbows being more support weapons. Corvinus's army was notable for having large amounts of gunpowder for the time, I think as high as 25% of the force.
Matthias yes, but I don't think John Hunyadi did.