Cruel and Uncivilized Punishments

Status
Closed
Aug 2009
Londinium
I wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention as it may have gone un-noticed. It seems that Brunei is pushing forward with a draconian and, IMO, barbaric form of punishment for a particular group of their citizens (Muslims). Not only are such acts illegal but the state retribution is truly cruel and I’m shocked that the most suitable place for this thread within a History forum is current events.

Brunei is to begin imposing death by stoning as a punishment for gay sex and adultery from next week, as part of the country’s highly criticised implementation of sharia law.

From 3 April, individuals in the tiny southeast Asian kingdom will be subject to a draconian new penal code, which also includes the amputation of a hand and a foot for the crime of theft. The capital punishments are to be “witnessed by a group of Muslims.”

The sharia law would apply only to Muslims, who make up about two-thirds of the population.
Brunei brings in death by stoning as punishment for gay sex

Aug 2012
Terry Pratchett once wrote something which really stuck with me, it was to the effect of: Never build a cell you wouldn't want to stay in.
And it kind of sums up how I feel about the issue of capital punishment, especially completely brutish punishments like stoning. Obviously, every nation is entitled to mind their own affairs as they see fit, but I wonder what kind of effect that sort of open cruelty has on the civilian population. I can only imagine life seems very cheap if a fellow citizen can be bludgeoned to death for basically no real reason.

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
Is this according to Sharia law? Seems flagrantly cruel to me. I remember watching a match sitting near to where Waqar Younis was playing when not bowling. I noticed he was missing the little finger of his left hand. I heard that was punishment for something to do with marijuana? I guess this all has to do with the argument of what is criminal justice... punishment, or reformation? Apparently in these cases the former was settled upon.

Aug 2014
pakistan
I remember watching a match sitting near to where Waqar Younis was playing when not bowling. I noticed he was missing the little finger of his left hand. I heard that was punishment for something to do with marijuana? I guess this all has to do with the argument of what is criminal justice... punishment, or reformation? Apparently in these cases the former was settled upon.
Refrain from spreading misinformation. Waqar Younis, the cricketer, lost his finger in a childhood incident. Fingers optional as Oram pursues dream

Aug 2016
Dispargum
What I find most interesting is that the law only applies to Muslims. I am at least glad to see that Sharia law is not being imposed on non-Muslims. I wonder if this means that gay and other Muslims in Brunei will start renouncing their faith as a way to avoid Sharia law? How does one prove in court that one is or is not a Muslim?

Aug 2014
pakistan
What I find most interesting is that the law only applies to Muslims. I am at least glad to see that Sharia law is not being imposed on non-Muslims. I wonder if this means that gay and other Muslims in Brunei will start renouncing their faith as a way to avoid Sharia law? How does one prove in court that one is or is not a Muslim?
If its truly 100% Sharia in Brunei then renouncing Islam carries the punishment of death.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
The stoning punishment for adultery (the original source of which is Torah) is not mentioned in Quran. The source of it is hadith. There should be only 100 lashes punishment for adultery (which is extremely light punishment compared to stoning to death) if only Quran is followed. The exact punishment for act of sodomy in Islam is not known. There are various weak hadiths, each telling different punishment for act of sodomy.

Last edited:
Aug 2014
pakistan
This is new in the Islamic World? Hasn't Iran been hanging folks for being gay?
Islamic punishments are not for being gay. Its for act of sodomy. If some one is straight and he sodomizes some one, he is punshed. If some one is gay but does not engage in sodomy (or he engages but is not witnessed) then he is not punished. Lesbians are exempted from punishments as lesbian activity do not involve sodomy.

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions