Cuban Missile Crisis - how Close Were We to Nuclear War?

May 2017
France
This story was an authentic comedy.The purpose of the Russians was to oblige the Americans to recuperate in Turky the missiles of the classes Jupiter and Tor,not to provok a WW3 for the beautiful eyes of Castro….Richard Nixon explained in his book "the real war" that he succeeded in the affair of Cienfuegos the definitive stopping of a strategic russian project,unically with saying :"if you stop the project slowly-not immediatly because i respect your military honor-we will not mediatize the negociati!on.....and he obtained the result he wanted.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
This story was an authentic comedy.The purpose of the Russians was to oblige the Americans to recuperate in Turky the missiles of the classes Jupiter and Tor,not to provok a WW3 for the beautiful eyes of Castro….Richard Nixon explained in his book "the real war" that he succeeded in the affair of Cienfuegos the definitive stopping of a strategic russian project,unically with saying :"if you stop the project slowly-not immediatly because i respect your military honor-we will not mediatize the negociati!on.....and he obtained the result he wanted.
dupuydumazeldan

At Historum we actively discourage resurrection of threads that are more than two years old for multiple reasons. Members may link to an old thread in their posts.

The Mod Team

Oct 2015
Belfast
A sound level check before a speech by President Ronald Reagan. "My fellow Americans, we have signed legislation that the Soviet Union is to be outlawed forever. We begin bombing in five minutes". A radio mike had been left switched on and when the Soviets heard what he said, they put a naval base in Vladivostok on full alert in preparation for an attack.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I watched this movie as a kid, It's about post-apocalyptic world, environmental devastation and a weak central government that still tries to maintain its authority. The end is ..death and destruction, it is probably one of the most depressing movies I ever encountered. Just to show that we on the other side of curtain also thought about the rockets launched by a faceless enemy and the apocalypse.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
A sound level check before a speech by President Ronald Reagan. "My fellow Americans, we have signed legislation that the Soviet Union is to be outlawed forever. We begin bombing in five minutes". A radio mike had been left switched on and when the Soviets heard what he said, they put a naval base in Vladivostok on full alert in preparation for an attack.
That seems an odd and very limited response.

Feb 2014
Miami

this is a near miss within our life times for the younger generation. Russia mistook a Norway rocket headed to space to test a rocket booster for nasa. Yeltsin, the then president of Russia mistook the rocket as a nuclear missile a usa submarine. He had gone as far as activate the cheget and could have started a nuclear “retaliation”.

the rocket course then shifted out to sea instead of Russia and no other signs of an incoming USA attack was seen.

so cuba wasnt the most recent!