Cuban Missle Crisis if Josef Stalin had been Soviet Premier

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Here is a speculative history question that I have wondered for quite some time. How would the Cuban Missile Crisis (1962) have turned out if Josef Stalin had been Soviet Premier instead of Nikita Khrushchev? It is well known that Stalin was a bit mentally "unhinged." His paranoia resulted in the great purges of the 1930s in which he eliminated his political enemies, both real and imagined. His paranoia even led him to decimate his own senior officer corps, which had initially had a decidedly negative effect on Soviet capabilities at the tactical level during the Second World War.

Not only that, but Stalin also harbored imperial ambitions of his own which led to his annexation of the Baltic States in 1940, conquest of parts of Finland, and seizure of Eastern Europe at the conclusion of the Second World War.

So my question is, how would the Cuban Missile Crisis have turned out with a man like Josef Stalin in power? Would it have resulted in a Third World War? Or would a diplomatic solution still have been possible?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I suspect that it'd turn out just like it did in real life--with the Soviets backing down. Stalin probably liked his comfortable life in Moscow way too much to risk losing it all in a nuclear war.

Jan 2016
Ohio
I suspect that it'd turn out just like it did in real life--with the Soviets backing down. Stalin probably liked his comfortable life in Moscow way too much to risk losing it all in a nuclear war.
After just winning WW2 only a decade prior, I'm sure the USA wouldn't back down regardless as they had an image to maintain.

I think it comes down to wether or not Russia would have been stable enough under Stalin for a WW3 and if he had big ambitions.

This kinda makes me think.. Would you rather live under Nazi Germany rule or the Soviet Union?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Stalin was willy as a fox and knew the difference between eating his chicken and tangling with danger
the Berlin blockade show his style
create a situation just short of a shooting war and press for concessions
the situation would have probably the same outcome
unless a Soviet submarine officer didn't keep his head ,
Vasili Arkhipov - Wikipedia

Khrushchev was hardly a softy , political commissar at Stalingrad , rose under Stalin , eliminated Beria
he send the Soviet army to crush the Hungarian uprising

Last edited:
Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Unpredictable as Stalin was, I personally suspect the Cuban Missile Crisis may have turned out quite differently had he been in power. Whether or not it would have resulted in another World War is debatable, but I don't envision Stalin backing down so easily, especially considering the Soviet contribution to Nazi Germany's defeat. I don't think Stalin would have necessarily resorted to a preemptive nuclear strike, but all of the elements would be in place for the ultimate nightmare scenario IMHO. Especially considering Stalin's paranoia and mental instability. In addition to the strong man image he would have wanted to project to the communist world.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
After just winning WW2 only a decade prior, I'm sure the USA wouldn't back down regardless as they had an image to maintain.

I think it comes down to wether or not Russia would have been stable enough under Stalin for a WW3 and if he had big ambitions.
Stalin wouldn't have wanted a WWIII.

This kinda makes me think.. Would you rather live under Nazi Germany rule or the Soviet Union?
The Soviet Union. However, I'm a quarter Jewish and with a Jewish last name, so I might be biased in regards to this.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions