Cuban Missle Crisis if Josef Stalin had been Soviet Premier

Apr 2018
India
Pretty hard question. If Stalin were alive then he would be 83 at the time of the crisis. At that how effective he would have been is a question. Another factor to consider is Beria. If he were alive and kicking and actually running the show from behind then the whole thing would have played out exactly as in real life. It is also a possibility than Beria would have made some other deal with the US without initiating the missile deployment at all. This I say because Beria was known to save his a** before anything. If, on the other hand if Beria had suffered the same fate as his predecessors (or the same fate as he faced in real life) then that means Stalin would still be in control. In that case the missile crisis would definitely have happened. The only difference, I believe, would have been that missile deployment at Cuba would not have been the only intimidating action taken by the USSR. Probably Berlin would have been blockaded once again or something like that. However the outcome would probably have been the same. And Val Zorin would have sweated a swimming pool worrying about the consequences of getting beaten by Adlai Stevenson like that.

Aug 2015
uk
Stalin would have expected the Americans to issue an ultimatum if he put nukes on Cuba. I don't think he would go ahead and then remove them when challenged. Yes, Kennedy removed missiles from Turkey, but to the World at the time of the missile crisis it was Russia that backed down and America that 'won'.

Stalin would have wanted the Americans to publicly state that they were removing their own missiles from Turkey before he would remove his. But in all honesty I don't think Stalin would ever have put them there in the first place unless he actually intended to use them.

Dec 2018
Australia
Stalin would have expected the Americans to issue an ultimatum if he put nukes on Cuba. I don't think he would go ahead and then remove them when challenged. Yes, Kennedy removed missiles from Turkey, but to the World at the time of the missile crisis it was Russia that backed down and America that 'won'.

Stalin would have wanted the Americans to publicly state that they were removing their own missiles from Turkey before he would remove his. But in all honesty I don't think Stalin would ever have put them there in the first place unless he actually intended to use them.
Yes. At the very least Stalin would have required the US to state that they were pulling out. Also could Stalin have 'created' the Cuban Missile Crisis to get the US to get rid of the Turkey Missiles

Similar History Discussions