Cultural identity of Australia and Canada

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Since no one has given examples I'll give some examples for Canada since I lived there for a few years. It's a bilingual country where English and French are the official languages. They actually don't co habit very well. Most Quebecers can speak English but won't unless you're from another country. They're known for their food, maple syrup and Celine Dione. The rest of the country is known for ice hockey and Molson beer. There are many famous singers, song writers and others from Canada who now live in the US.

canadian culture

list of famous canadian actors, singers and song writers

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Yep, that's honestly a pretty central part of the whole thing. Not being American, and being historically close to the Brits. Also joining the world wars at their beginning instead of waiting until halfway through, particularly in world war one. Additionally, Victoria is about as far from Quebec within Canada as you can get, but I did do French immersion taught by Quebecois teachers throughout elementary school, and of course you're surrounded by dual-language everything by law, so I feel more of an affinity with Quebec and France than I'd imagine the vast majority of other Anglophones would, and I'd think the same is true for many other Canadians.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Perhaps in the interest of the original post in highlighting regional differences, I grew up one province to the east of Jean. There was always a mild anti-Québec sentiment in the air (stirred by some members of the province's intellectual class), and when we studied French (which was rare), our teachers did little to hide their distaste at having to teach it. I recognize now that may in part stem from their own lack of qualification. The resentment comes from Alberta being a "have" provinces where the money is sent to Ottawa to subsidize Québec. One can see this in two ways - Ottawa using the west's resources to buy the votes in the east that it needs to stay in power, or as part of allowing Canadians in all parts of the country equal access to services of equal quality. I'd like to believe in the latter, while recognizing that the former cannot be dismissed out of hand.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I know there's a number of Australians on these forums. I'd like to hear from some of them even though I'm not the OP. They can't easily say "not being American" is an element of their cultural identity.

Last edited:

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Not being American is not a part of Australian identity, although when overseas many foreigners do see all native English speakers as essentially the same. A sceptical attitude towards those who take themselves too seriously, to politicians and authority figures is a very common trait among Australians, as is a sense of fairness to all and a willingness to call out those who abuse that sense of fairness.

Similar History Discussions