Cultural identity of Australia and Canada

Mar 2019
Kansas
Thank you very much.

Now my follow up questions:

1) Which are the main characteristics of those identities?

2) Can you give concrete examples?
Canadians are really good at ice hockey, Australians are not

Australians are really good at cricket, Canadians are not.

Canadians eat Poutine, Australians don't

Australians eat vegemite, Canadians don't

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
Canadians have a strong tradition of supporting U.N. peacekeeping missions.
The War of 1812 was an important part of Canadian history, but not so well known in the US or UK.

Canadians remember the Battle of the Somme, D-day & liberating Holland as part of our military history, developing separately from Britain in the 20th century.

Similarly, the battles at Gallipoli, Tobruk, and New Guinea are important in Australian military tradition, where "Anzac day" is celebrated in remembrance.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Canadians eat Poutine, Australians don't
Not out west!

Canadians have a strong tradition of supporting U.N. peacekeeping missions.
Keeping the world safe for Canadian capital, and pretending that we're doing some good while we're at it.

The War of 1812 was an important part of Canadian history, but not so well known in the US or UK.
Is it, though? I honestly have a hard time seeing it as "Canadian" since it pre-dates Confederation, and even Confederation only means so much in being a nation and not just a colony of Britain. I really wonder if 1812's importance isn't more recent, pushed by the Harper government, and really just part of the whole "not American" thing.

May 2011
Rural Australia
Have Australia and Canada an own cultural identity that distinguishes them in a way from other countries?
In the beginning both Australia and Canada had Pre-Colonial histories featuring the unique cultural identities of their First People. For some, centuries have past since Australia and Canada were both seen to be unique colonial outposts of the British empire. At the end of the day cultural identity of Australia and Canada includes the great mixing pot of all humanity - human cultural identity, some or whom are well off, some of whom are being oppressed. Corpocracy, which transcends cultural identity, is on the rise. But that's the same as everywhere else, isn't it?

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
Poutine is everywhere in Canada, even out West.

Is it, though? I honestly have a hard time seeing it as "Canadian" since it pre-dates Confederation, and even Confederation only means so much in being a nation and not just a colony of Britain. I really wonder if 1812's importance isn't more recent, pushed by the Harper government, and really just part of the whole "not American" thing.
If we'd lost the war then we'd now also be living in the land of the deplorables and home of the alternate facts. :D

Similar History Discussions