Current Byzantine historiography

Jul 2009
As a layman interested in the centuries from about 300 to 800 AD, I am pretty uninformed on Byzantine history. I am (just barely) aware of the following historians of the Roman East:

Donald Nicol.

Steven Runciman (older stuff).

Warren Treadgold.

Stephen Williams.

Other than A.H.M. Jones, that is about it. I have checked a link to Anthony Kaldellis, and his CV shows he has been active in the last decade. I have read nothing by him.

Any suggestions from the Historum Intelligentsia? I am a few miles from a major state university library, and I have a library card. :)

Last edited:

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
I think it really depends on what you're looking for; vast quantities of work have been produced on the social, cultural, and religious history of late antiquity. One thing to keep in mind with this time period is that it typically has a de facto division down the middle, ie: although a few scholars span the whole period and probably a few more would speak of its unity, the actual number of scholars who do serious work on both sides of the sixth century is few. In my experience most scholars of post-600 seem to be conversant on earlier matters, whereas fewer of those who work before that seem comfortable pushing into the Arab conquest period. But that's just my impression and could be totally erroneous.

Anyway, names. Jones is still very useful, especially for administrative history of the late empire. As a whole I believe that has yet to be surpassed. Treadgold is broadly reliable. John Haldon is essential reading for anything dealing with the state, army, or organization. Mark Whittow's general book on the period is a good survey. Averil Cameron's general volume is also quite good and goes up to 700 in the second edition. You'll find the work of Leslie Brubaker quite useful, too, as is that of Cyril Mango. A lot of these names here are for post-600; I'd need to know more about what you're specifically interested in for the proceeding period before recommending anything.

Jul 2009
Thanks, guys! I can research those authors and fill in the blanks from there. I will never be any expert (too late for that) but it will help with a broader understanding.

@Kirialax: Actually, I think for pre-600 I am basically OK with the two entities. It is the Arab conquest and Islam that rather separates the two for me. The centuries after Justinian and the wars in Africa and Italy, and a bit about Heraclius, are something of a blur.

Apr 2016
there
Some other names include J.B. Bury, A.A. Vasiliev, George Ostrogorsky, John Julius Norwich, and George T. Dennis. Whittow's book "The Making of Byzantium, 600-1025", might be particularly of interest to you. A name, that is sometimes cited, is Charles Diehl.

If you want to learn about Byzantine cuisine, you can look for Andrew Dalby's "The Flavors of Byzantium".

Ammianus Marcellinus' "The Later Roman Empire (AD 354-378)" is available in an English translation.

A somewhat recent book, Jonathan Harris' "The End of Byzantium", was published in 2010. I am not comfortable with it as a reference; I think it has errors or, perhaps more politely stated, has claims that are unique, such as on page one, the claim that Blachernae Palace "lay in the north-western corner of ... Constantinople."

Jan 2014
Scotland
Judith Herrin - Byzantium: The Surprising Life Of A Medieval Empire. This is a general book but quite good.

Other sources you could look at include Peter Heather's "The Restoration of Rome", which covers quite a bit the period between 470 - 630 AD. For primary sources, check Procopius which covers the reign of Justinian I.