Current political or ethnic conflicts on the Balkan?

Status
Closed
Jan 2018
Poland/England
1st. We spoke a lot of about the romanians and the hungarians, in the another topic. The point of the conflict is: Transylvania.

2nd. There is a conflict between Serbia and Albania.
The point of the conflict: Kosovo

3rd. I seen a topic about a conflict between the Republic of Macedonia and Greece. The point of the conflict: "the heritage of Ancient Kingdom of Macedon". What Macedonia want from Greece? What are the points on the both sides?

4th. I seen a private argument between a bulgarian and a romanian person. The argument was this:

B: "Also, Dacians are nothing more but a Thracian tribe."

R: "Nope.Dacians were the most advanced and bravest among thracians.Deal with what the old historians of antiquity said. Dobrogea is romanian land and has nothing to do with any slavic tribe that came into Europe. Your country was created because we fought for your liberation.
(The nickname of this person is "Vlad the Impaler")"

B: "vlad the impaler was bulgarian , wallachia was northern bulgaria too
his name is slavic , as modern romanians are too Romania is Latin Bulgaria."

After this point they just insulted each-other. Is this a real ethnic-historic conflict between the two nations, or just two person's personal emotions? If yes, what are the points on the each sides?

Is there more conflicts? If yes, between who, and what are the points?

Jan 2016
Collapsed wave
You know in Bulgaria there is a saying:
"Don't look for a calf under the bull"

No, Bulgars don't have any problems with Romania. These two must have had some personal issues.

Edit: And I'm going to flag your post as abusive, inflammatory and generally stupid.

Try to focus on history.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Poland/England
You know in Bulgaria there is a saying:
"Don't look for a calf under the bull"

No, Bulgars don't have any problems with Romania. These two must have had some personal issues.

Edit: And I'm going to flag your post as abusive, inflammatory and generally stupid.

Try to focus on history.
Thanks for the asnwer. What about Greece and Macedonia?

I know this "quote" is very stupid, but I never heard before any conflicts between these two countries, and when I read this argument, I didn't understood what are they arguing about? Dacians was an independent tribe, or part of the thracians? Or about Vlad Tepes? Or about a territory? Or about the origin of the romanians? etc...

Last edited:

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
It's very hard to make a distinction between ethnic and political conflicts in the Balkans as they are firmly intertwined. Political conflict easily escalate into ethnic tensions, while at the same time, ethnic division also cause political discord.

As for the current hotspots, along with Kosovo, it's Bosnia. Namely, the tensions between Serbs and Bosniaks.
Also, there is ethnic tension between Albanians and Macedonians which sporadically turn into smaller outbreaks of political violence, the recent example being after the parliamentary election in 2017.

Jan 2018
Poland/England
It's very hard to make a distinction between ethnic and political conflicts in the Balkans as they are firmly intertwined. Political conflict easily escalate into ethnic tensions, while at the same time, ethnic division also cause political discord.

As for the current hotspots, along with Kosovo, it's Bosnia. Namely, the tensions between Serbs and Bosniaks.
Also, there is ethnic tension between Albanians and Macedonians which sporadically turn into smaller outbreaks of political violence, the recent example being after the parliamentary election in 2017.
Thank you! So

Serbian - Bosniak conflict
Serbian - Albanian conflict
Albanian - Macedonian conflict
Macedonian - Greek conflict
Romanian - Hungarian conflict

?

Valens

Ad Honorem
Feb 2014
Colonia Valensiana
Thank you! So

Serbian - Bosniak conflict
Serbian - Albanian conflict
Albanian - Macedonian conflict
Macedonian - Greek conflict
Romanian - Hungarian conflict

?
Well, there is no real conflict between Greeks and Macedonians, save the tensions involving the name dispute, which could be resolved soon, judging by the recent events.

There are also border disputes between Slovenia and Croatia, as well as between Croats and Bosniaks. These fall under usual political disputes between ex-YU countries.
Only the first three conflicts you listed have potential to escalate in the near future.

Dec 2016
Moldavia, Romania
I also know of a political one - border dispute - between Slovenia and Croatia, the reason being a swathe of water. The bickering has been reignited last year in the summer and this winter, some Croatian official threatened to "invade Slovenia with fishing boats" in jest. I don't know the policy of the forum regarding links, but you can look it up yourself.

Aug 2019
North
1st. We spoke a lot of about the romanians and the hungarians, in the another topic. The point of the conflict is: Transylvania.

2nd. There is a conflict between Serbia and Albania.
The point of the conflict: Kosovo

3rd. I seen a topic about a conflict between the Republic of Macedonia and Greece. The point of the conflict: "the heritage of Ancient Kingdom of Macedon". What Macedonia want from Greece? What are the points on the both sides?

4th. I seen a private argument between a bulgarian and a romanian person. The argument was this:

B: "Also, Dacians are nothing more but a Thracian tribe."

R: "Nope.Dacians were the most advanced and bravest among thracians.Deal with what the old historians of antiquity said. Dobrogea is romanian land and has nothing to do with any slavic tribe that came into Europe. Your country was created because we fought for your liberation.
(The nickname of this person is "Vlad the Impaler")"

B: "vlad the impaler was bulgarian , wallachia was northern bulgaria too
his name is slavic , as modern romanians are too Romania is Latin Bulgaria."

After this point they just insulted each-other. Is this a real ethnic-historic conflict between the two nations, or just tkwo person's personal emotions? If yes, what are the points on the each sides?

Is there more conflicts? If yes, between who, and what are the points?
3rd(?!) Macedonia wants to be left alone as she suffers from coordinated attacks from north and south, and east and west. However, she perseveres.

Last edited:
Status
Closed