Custer Suicide Theory !

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Custer's body was found at the battle site, bullet wounds to the chest and-I think-head, were present; no signs of torture.
George Armstrong Custer - Wikipedia

As plenty of other soldiers were mutilated I would think it quite unusual that Custer should escape unscathed, especially as he was easily identifiable and was the commander.

"Several individuals claimed responsibility for killing Custer, including White Bull of the Miniconjous, Rain-in-the-Face, Flat Lip, and Brave Bear.[88] In June 2005, at a public meeting, Northern Cheyenne storytellers said that according to their oral tradition, Buffalo Calf Road Woman, a Northern Cheyenne heroine of the Battle of the Rosebud, struck the final blow against Custer, which knocked him off his horse before he died "

This part is quite interesting, I had always assumed that squaws (can we call them that?) generally stayed out of battle, as most women in other cultures do/did.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Had he been scalped? Those flowing blond locks would be irresistible as a trophy..
Those are mostly from his media friendly days.

By the time of Greasy grass he was seriosly campaigning not faffing around with photographers so he's had them cut back!

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Custer's body was found at the battle site, bullet wounds to the chest and-I think-head, were present; no signs of torture.
The bullet wounds don't really tell us how Custer died. He could have been killed by the Indians, committed suicide, or Custer might have been finished off by his brother so he wouldn't be tortured. Custer could have been accidentally shot by his own men or fragged for getting them all killed, The answer people favor often says more about them than it does about Custer,

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
The bullet wounds don't really tell us how Custer died. He could have been killed by the Indians, committed suicide, or Custer might have been finished off by his brother so he wouldn't be tortured. Custer could have been accidentally shot by his own men or fragged for getting them all killed, The answer people favor often says more about them than it does about Custer,
Somewhere.... there must be copies of his last few weeks of correspondence ... it would be interesting to see if it helped profile his state of mind at the end. Could a psychiatric disorder explain much of his quirkiness ... couldn't many of those traits possibly border on something more? I.e. Insubordinate OR inability to maintain functional relationships with authorities? Rash decision making OR manic tendencies? Egotistical OR Narcissist Personality Disorder?

I think it would be interesting to find out... Lately they opened up George III's papers to the public and after analyzing them, they are now thinking his "madness" was some form of manic state, not porphyria... which is really interesting!

unclefred

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Oregon coastal mountains
He was not mutilated, which is well attested to, neither was Cpt. Keogh. I think they are the two exceptions we know of. I t was said that the Catholic medal he wore was the reason they left Cpt. Keogh alone. The warriors did not know it was Custer they were fighting until afterward, he had cut his hair and was wearing buckskin, as were some others in the fray. One physical point going against the suicide theory is that the head shot was on the opposite side of his shooting hand.
In general, the often repeated speculation about suicide among the troops has been studied a bit here-

Tales of rampant suicide among Custer’s soldiers may be overblown

May 2017
florida
As I understand it , the Indians did not even know it was Custer , he had cut his hair off and was not riding his favorite horse . He just looked like one of many civilian scouts. Also in the movies it is a "stand " , National Geographic has since kinda proved it was a running retreat/route several miles long .

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
The final outcome is disputed, but you also have to consider the sensibilities of the time - would Mrs Custer be too pleased to hear about the fate of her husband? Col Crawford was tortured to death in a similar fashion a century or so earlier. The natives certainly were resourceful in their entertainment.

Similar History Discussions