Custer Suicide Theory !

Mar 2016
Australia
Not knowledgeable enough on the topic to say for certain, but what I will say is that if I were in his position I'd definitely shoot myself rather than be taken alive. Some of the stories of the tortures the Native Americans inflicted on people are truly horrifying. Honour hasn't got anything to do with it when the alternative to the bullet to the head is a long and violent and painful death. Only a fool would risk that happening when it's obvious all is lost.

Mar 2019
Alabama, USA
Never really gave this must thought but I just wonder is there any validity to this theory.
Just wanting to see what others view are on this .
Did Custer commit suicide or note but somewhere I read Native American account of the battle & saying who may have killed Custer!
Well, it's possible if he didn't want to be captured by the Sioux. Soldiers offing themselves to avoid capture is a known thing in wartime. That said, he never struck me as the type that would entertain the notion of suicide. As others mentioned, since he was the commander, he had to be exposed and be the one shouting the orders so if anything, he was among the first to die in the battle.

Not knowledgeable enough on the topic to say for certain, but what I will say is that if I were in his position I'd definitely shoot myself rather than be taken alive. Some of the stories of the tortures the Native Americans inflicted on people are truly horrifying. Honour hasn't got anything to do with it when the alternative to the bullet to the head is a long and violent and painful death. Only a fool would risk that happening when it's obvious all is lost.
Oh I'm with you on that one. If I were in a hopeless battle against an enemy known for brutal torture, I'd rather shoot myself than be captured.

Similar History Discussions