D Day - keeping it secret

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
To be honest I think none of the other allies combined had the resources to pull off the Manhattan project either.
They all did afterwards. UK, France, Soviet Union, China all became nuclear powers. Just none were willing to invest in a theoretical weapon based on science most didn't possess. The most brilliant physicists at the time were living in the US...

Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
One curious feature of the secrecy surrounding the Normandy invasion was that for months before British newsreels were full of film of preparations for it - great sweeping shots of parks full of tanks and artillery with the message: "Look out, Adolf, we're coming for you." This, one gathers, was to help our Russian allies by keeping German forces in the west. It must have made the landings more hazardous, so I hope the Russians appreciated it.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
One curious feature of the secrecy surrounding the Normandy invasion was that for months before British newsreels were full of film of preparations for it - great sweeping shots of parks full of tanks and artillery with the message: "Look out, Adolf, we're coming for you." This, one gathers, was to help our Russian allies by keeping German forces in the west. It must have made the landings more hazardous, so I hope the Russians appreciated it.
The Allied invasion of France in '44 was a foregone conclusion. Germany was originally thinking it might happen in '43, and were grossly unprepared, but not until Hitler sent Rommel to inspect the defenses, where it turned out that the defenses didn't really even exist.

JPK

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
That is also proof of the overwhelming quantity of resources available to the allies in 1944.
Proof of the abundant resources of the Allies came shortly after the closing of the Falaise pocket when a German patrol came upon a downed C-47. A German said he knew the war would be lost because the plane was full of packages from home for a US Army division. "They could afford to load an entire cargo plane with cakes and biscuits from home when we were hungry and out of fuel and ammunition," said the German soldier.

Reactions: Edratman

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Proof of the abundant resources of the Allies came shortly after the closing of the Falaise pocket when a German patrol came upon a downed C-47. A German said he knew the war would be lost because the plane was full of packages from home for a US Army division. "They could afford to load an entire cargo plane with cakes and biscuits from home when we were hungry and out of fuel and ammunition," said the German soldier.
The Falaise Pocket was never closed. Didn't have enough troops or supplies...

Reactions: JPK

JPK

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
That's not how encirclements work...
No kidding. Which is why the Americans were not happy. Pardon my semantic faux-pas - I should have said closing of the Gap instead of the pocket. None of which has anything to do with the point of my post - which was to show the abundance of Allied resources.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
No kidding. Which is why the Americans were not happy. Pardon my semantic faux-pas - I should have said closing of the Gap instead of the pocket. None of which has anything to do with the point of my post - which was to show the abundance of Allied resources.
You're not comprehending what I wrote. As much as the battered Army Group B was starved of supplies at the time, and impressed by the Allies, the Allies were not doing so great either. Which was why the Germans largely escaped from the Falaise pocket. They didn't have the fuel, the artillery, or the supplies.