Dare we speak about "Brexit?"

Status
Closed
Jul 2016
Dengie Peninsula
To update you, Great Britain and Northern Ireland have given notice that they are to leave the European Union.This came about as a result of a referendum whereby a majority of the population, voted to leave Europe. Despite an unbelievable amount of Governmental procrastination it is still likely to happen!
Brexit stands for Britain Exit.
As I am too old to care , I wonder what other people's thoughts are on the matter.
By the way, this is a very important historical landmark as trade, security, immigration are all affected.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Oh my God, Brexit and Trump; all the obsessive nonsense that is spoken about both makes me want to become a hermit. Personally I was a marginal leave voter, but everything that has happened since has served to make me a more determined leaver.

Feb 2016
Japan
Oh my God, Brexit and Trump; all the obsessive nonsense that is spoken about both makes me want to become a hermit. Personally I was a marginal leave voter, but everything that has happened since has served to make me a more determined leaver.
I was care free and willing to let nature take its course. I thought either way we’d be ok.
But a brexit now suggests we will be wrecked as a country. Either some EU vassel with no say in the running of things. Or a England will be some pit awash with chem filled US food and our immigration policy dictated to by India... out of one bad situation into another.
So I’m more remain than anything. Would like to see Reese-Mogg, Bojo, Cameron and Farage subjected to some historical mob justice. Tarring and Feathering perhaps.... or the stocks.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I was care free and willing to let nature take its course. I thought either way we’d be ok.
But a brexit now suggests we will be wrecked as a country. Either some EU vassel with no say in the running of things. Or a England will be some pit awash with chem filled US food and our immigration policy dictated to by India... out of one bad situation into another.
So I’m more remain than anything. Would like to see Reese-Mogg, Bojo, Cameron and Farage subjected to some historical mob justice. Tarring and Feathering perhaps.... or the stocks.
Why would immigration policy be dictated by India ? so far it was mostly "dictated" by the EU..... and the local dreamers who believe that resources are limitless and the UK can accomodate an infinite number of people without ill effects

Why would a brexit britain be more subject to EU dictates than an EU britain ?

and US food is not all bad....

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Why would a brexit britain be more subject to EU dictates than an EU britain ?
We might, and I emphasise might, accept some EU rules to get a better trade deal. That might or might not be a good idea but it could happen. And being out of the EU would leave us with no say in those rules.

Aug 2009
Londinium
We might, and I emphasise might, accept some EU rules to get a better trade deal. That might or might not be a good idea but it could happen. And being out of the EU would leave us with no say in those rules.
...or not to follow them of course. Which would mean no longer engaging in that specific (or perhaps broad) area of trade. Given our vast deficit with the EU, this would be to their determent and therefore we would have some (likely informal) influence if any trade rules are changed in the future.

Not to far off from how all other nations/trading blocs work. :)

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
...or not to follow them of course. Which would mean no longer engaging in that specific (or perhaps broad) area of trade. Given our vast deficit with the EU, this would be to their determent and therefore we would have some (likely informal) influence if any trade rules are changed in the future.

Not to far off from how all other nations/trading blocs work. :)
Indeed. We chose to leave and have to make our own bed with whatever materials we can get. Much is made of the fact that the EU exports more to us than we do to them but it’s also the case that the proportion of our exports that go to the EU is greater than theirs to the UK.

Vaeltaja

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Indeed. We chose to leave and have to make our own bed with whatever materials we can get. Much is made of the fact that the EU exports more to us than we do to them but it’s also the case that the proportion of our exports that go to the EU is greater than theirs to the UK.
The EU has no problems trading with the UK after the Brexit. That ought to be clear. It is just that the EU will not be compromising on Single Market or Customs Union parts - no matter what the UK does. Which also ought to be clear. The main sticking point currently is that UK still has not formulated any sort of actual means of dealing with the RoI - N.I. border issue.

Aug 2009
Londinium
Any shortage in materials, if this is what you're alluding to, will be the fault of poor planning and not a democratic exercise being fulfilled. This is an important distinction to make.

Regarding the exports, your description is not my current understanding, but I stand to be corrected.

Exports grew faster to Canada (up 12.7%), India (31.8%) and China (15.3%) than to the EU (10%).

Goods exports were up 10%, driven by a demand for manufactured goods, while services exports rose 4.2% due to strong global interest in the UK’s prestigious financial and travel services.

Non-EU countries remain the main destination for UK services (£167.4 billion), making up 60.4% of all services exports.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-exports-at-record-high

The EU, taken as a whole is the UK’s largest trading partner. In 2017, UK exports to the EU were £274 billion (44% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £341 billion (53% of all UK imports).
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7851

As noted here, amount of trade is largely driven by distance (note that we have a stronger trade relationship with RoI rather than Italy or Spain even though RoI is a smaller economy).

Overall, I don't think our trading relationship will change that much post-Brexit. There will obviously be some changes, and some negotiations and re-negotiations over time. Broadly speaking, it's in everyones interest to keep the money flowing!

Status
Closed

Similar History Discussions