Dark Emu II: Precolonial Australian societies tilled the land

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
Yes thanks I agree with these responses. The historical evidence concerning precolonial Australian society is often difficult to discuss because of this misinformed denigration. Colonial histories from the 19th century which denigrate the natives were often used in the 20th century school education systems. In the 1970's these "colonial histories" began to be the subject of necessary revision. I went through the education system here in the 60's. This education system presented a completely biased view of the "Land Grab", the colonialization and agricultural and cultural achievements of the Australian first people. The situation improved during the 70's and 80's. (Both in Australia, and in other British colonial outposts around the planet.)

Dark Emu builds on all this earlier historical revisionist work.

In my opinion it may be seen as a form of "Truth Telling"

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Update: Bruce Pascoe found not to be Aboriginal, and rather economical with the truth......

Reactions: Kookaburra Jack
Feb 2017
Latin America
Honestly, don't see how this is not agriculture already:

“Aboriginal Australians who never reached the stage of farming yams and seed plants nonetheless anticipated several elements of farming. They managed the landscape by burning it…In gathering yams, they cut off most of the edible tuber but replaced the stems and tops of the tubers in the ground so that the tubers would regrow. Their digging to extract the tuber loosened and aerated the soil and fostered regrowth. All that they would have had to do to meet he definition of farmers was to carry the stems and remaining attached tubers home and similarly replaced them in soil at their camp.” (ibid. p. 107).

If we're going by ad hominems and poisoning the well, we should add that the cite is blatant pro-colonial right-wing propaganda meant to denigrate Aboriginals. White Australians do truly tend to be some of the most racist people on Earth. Not even creole and mestizo Latin Americans reach this level of denial in regards to Latin American indigenous peoples. Even in the US people recognise that Native Americans had powerful bows, defeated British and US regiments and taught Europeans how to grow corn and tobacco. There's no site disputing the likes of James Axtell on native technology as far as I know. There are all those who dispute population numbers of Henry Dobyns, but even these people in the US don't dispute that Native Americans had bows as powerful as Mongol or Manchu composite bows, had ruins like Cahokia, and grew corn, potato, tobacco and had all sorts of medicinal horticulture and even produced vulcanised rubber and dug oil. Only in Australia is the issue of native technology and progress a culture war as far as I know.

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
Update: Bruce Pascoe found not to be Aboriginal, and rather economical with the truth......
Honestly, don't see how this is not agriculture already:

“Aboriginal Australians who never reached the stage of farming yams and seed plants nonetheless anticipated several elements of farming. They managed the landscape by burning it…In gathering yams, they cut off most of the edible tuber but replaced the stems and tops of the tubers in the ground so that the tubers would regrow. Their digging to extract the tuber loosened and aerated the soil and fostered regrowth. All that they would have had to do to meet he definition of farmers was to carry the stems and remaining attached tubers home and similarly replaced them in soil at their camp.” (ibid. p. 107).

If we're going by ad hominems and poisoning the well, we should add that the cite is blatant pro-colonial right-wing propaganda meant to denigrate Aboriginals. White Australians do truly tend to be some of the most racist people on Earth. Not even creole and mestizo Latin Americans reach this level of denial in regards to Latin American indigenous peoples. Even in the US people recognise that Native Americans had powerful bows, defeated British and US regiments and taught Europeans how to grow corn and tobacco. There's no site disputing the likes of James Axtell on native technology as far as I know. There are all those who dispute population numbers of Henry Dobyns, but even these people in the US don't dispute that Native Americans had bows as powerful as Mongol or Manchu composite bows, had ruins like Cahokia, and grew corn, potato, tobacco and had all sorts of medicinal horticulture and even produced vulcanised rubber and dug oil. Only in Australia is the issue of native technology and progress a culture war as far as I know.
That site "dark-emu-exposed" looks to be established specifically to discredit Pascoe's "Dark Emu".

According to its own blurb ..... "We are a group of historians, academics, scientists, writers, bushwalkers and farmers, both professional and amateur enthusiasts, who all share a passion for the history of our Country. " and ...... "This website is solely for use by contributors for the purposes of Criticism, Review and Scholarship into the History, Anthropology, Economy, Politics and other relevant fields of study, concerning Australia and Australians."

Articles therein freely cite the right wing rag - and brainchild of John Howard - QUADRANT - Quadrant Online
This has been discussed ad nauseum on earlier threads concerning "Dark Emu"

One of the main spoke-persons for the right wing rubbish promulgated by these types of website turns out to be the Sky News commentator Andrew Dolt.

As Andrew Bolt attempts to start a culture war over Bruce Pascoe’s Dark Emu, a search of primary documents affirms the book’s accuracy

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
As Andrew Bolt attempts to start a culture war over Bruce Pascoe’s Dark Emu, a search of primary documents affirms the book’s accuracy
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: specul8

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
'Like a dog returning to its its own vomit ' ..... as they say .

Another PATHETIC attempt at discrediting . What a wastt.e of time reading this . I am glad I didnt have to as I randomly clicked on one of the many links and the first sentence was stupid and uneducated in the subject at hand ;

" The Aboriginal historian argued many Indigenous Australians also lived in villages with stone huts, and constructed dams and irrigation systems. "

" However, his claims fly in the face of decades of scholarly research and academic consensus about Aboriginal society before colonisation."

The ignorance here is astounding ! I started to learn about this stuff decades before anyone ever heard of Bruce Pascoe ! It was part of my anthropology course reading requirements !

Josephine Flood - ' Archraeology of the Dreamtime'.

THIS is the academic source for " villages with stone huts, and constructed dams and irrigation systems" that Bruce used .

Archaeology of the dreamtime : the story of prehistoric Australia and its people / Josephine Flood - Details

She took a BA in Classics at Girton College, Cambridge, in 1959, later receiving an MA (1968)[1] and a PhD (1973) from the Australian National University.[2] Her PhD thesis was published as: The Moth Hunters: Aboriginal prehistory of the Australian Alps in 1980.[3]

In 1963 at ANU Flood was appointed as a lecturer in Classical Archaeology but in 1964 she transferred into the field of Australian archaeology and commenced a master's degree. In 1978 Flood was appointed Senior Conservation Officer with the Australian Heritage Commission in Canberra, becoming assistant director from 1979 to 1991, where in 1984 she headed the Aboriginal Environment Section. Over 2000 Aboriginal archaeological sites were added to the Register of the National Estate during her time at the AHC. She also contributed to the World Heritage Listing of Kakadu National Park, the Tasmanian South West Wilderness Area and the Willandra Lakes Region of NSW.[6]

In 1991, Flood was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities (FAHA).[11] Flood received the Centenary Medal in 2001 For service to Australian society and the humanities in prehistory and archaeology.[12] Her most recent book, The Original Australians was a finalist in the Prime Minister's Prize for Australian History in 2007.[13]

Flood Bird was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in the 2019 Queen's Birthday Honours in recognition of her "significant service to archaeology, and to the study of Indigenous culture"

But hardly anyone outside of academia has read her book, so it didnt reall impact on the Australian public. Bruce's book was marketed mainstream, was popular and has caused outrage from the 'Quadrant Camp' , of which the above nonsense is ye another manifestation.

As far as being Aboriginal goes, I doubt ANYONE here knows what the modern criteria is for that nowadays (that is without running off now and looking it up on the internet ) .

" Heads up on the Dark Emu story of Aboriginal agriculture. "

But it did not say whose head was up where did it ? :think:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia

[/QUOTE]

Bolt ! What an idiot ! Why doesnt he try to discredit the source originally ; Jospahine Flood ! " Pascoe claims this , Pascoe claims that .... "

not a hint or mention of the academic sources and source material and white colonial history that Pascoe cites as his sources of info .

Pathetic.

and rather pathetic that someone posts stuff like that above portfolio, attempted slander bomb of numerous supposed articles discrediting Bruce here ! Lets attack a secondary author and totally ignore the source material. Right !

This is supposed to be history website. Not some forum to post stupid mainstream uneducated biased anti aboriginal attempt at propaganda .

Last edited:

Kookaburra Jack

Ad Honorem
May 2011
Rural Australia
Good data above in regard to Josephine Flood. Thanks.

Bolt's a dolt.

His research department he claims consists of a …. (at about 3.22 in the vid)

"group of about 20 amateur researchers lead by scientist Bruce Cager [?? Did not catch the surname]
has been fact checking Pascoe's claims for months on their web site dark-emu-exposed"

Quadrant clone.

I wonder who this leading scientist Bruce is ----- in charge of Dolt's historical research (propaganda) team?