Dark Emu II: Precolonial Australian societies tilled the land

Jun 2018
England/Australia
I just wanted to thank you all for this wonderful thread.

I have only recently gained permanent residency in Australia but have been travelling to and from for several years prior. Through a combination of a passion for European history, and being surrounded by a great deal of racism in this country, I have regrettably not given much thought to Aboriginal history in the past (note that I have in no way contributed to such racism, but it has served to keep me ignorant and dis-interested). This thread has not only served to fuel my insomnia tonight, but has ignited something in me that I wish to pursue, and simultaneously broadened my mind in a more cultural way. So, thank you all again for such well-informed and factual posts. I daresay there is not a single other place quite like Historum in the entirety of the web.

Also, I really need some better mates out here...

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I just wanted to thank you all for this wonderful thread.

I have only recently gained permanent residency in Australia but have been travelling to and from for several years prior. Through a combination of a passion for European history, and being surrounded by a great deal of racism in this country, I have regrettably not given much thought to Aboriginal history in the past (note that I have in no way contributed to such racism, but it has served to keep me ignorant and dis-interested). This thread has not only served to fuel my insomnia tonight, but has ignited something in me that I wish to pursue, and simultaneously broadened my mind in a more cultural way. So, thank you all again for such well-informed and factual posts. I daresay there is not a single other place quite like Historum in the entirety of the web.

Also, I really need some better mates out here...
Henry HARDTACK ? Was the trip down here a bit rough ? You do know that nowadays you can take a luxury tourist ship ?

(for those that dont know ; Hardtack - Wikipedia )

Whats your location Henry ?

Jun 2018
England/Australia
Henry HARDTACK ? Was the trip down here a bit rough ? You do know that nowadays you can take a luxury tourist ship ?

(for those that dont know ; Hardtack - Wikipedia )

Whats your location Henry ?
It's just not the same without the prospect of a slow, painful death in every voyage. Adds some spice to travelling abroad y'know?

I'm living down in Adelaide. Lovely place but I'm aching to get out into more rural Australia and see some stuff. You're up in Queensland?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
The middle bit of Australia's east coast , where the mountains meet the sea , in NSW - Gumgaynggirr Country .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Same here ; a large fire spread from a lightning strike up the end of our narrow (and dangerous for a fire , only one way out ) valley . It harassed us for a week or so. Some houses up there had bulldozer fire breaks right up to their back lawn with fire burnt right up to the other side of the break . Thanks to some patchy rain, favorable wind directions from the east and some hard working firefighters - with little equipment and some locals with their own they have managed to hold it . Some landslides happened which turned our pristine river to a thick clay color . Heavier rain will see more of that and logs and charcoal and ash . I have been staying down the coast a bit, the beach there was covered in washed up charcoal from out at sea .

Just before it wiped out Nymbodia , I visited a forum friend there (from another forum ) who said he was going to stay and fight it to save his house and studio . He is a bit 'elderly' and frail. he did have a brick fire shelter 2 pumps and hoses and a dam full of water . I was very concerned about him when it hit . He managed to save his buildings but said when the front came over the hill it was a huge towering boiling monster from hell and he thought he made the wrong decision . he said it was terrifying and couldnt talk about it for a week due to trauma . He has various animals living under his house now seeking refuge and water .

I have been documenting it elsewhere . I dont know if I can post another sites link here so I will PM it to you .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I have a friend in your position down at Burril Lake , yes, that area is a little bubble amidst widespread devastation . She dlid flee one night and spent the night at Ulladulla Harbour with her daughter, grandchildren and 6 dogs .

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Veering slightly back on topic . IMO part of this problem is the last 200 years lack of proper land management . Previously, many areas where constantly burned , for a variety of reasons , including managing potential 'mega-fires' .