Dark Emu II: Precolonial Australian societies tilled the land

Mar 2019
Kansas
I used to live near Kurnell , Cook's 'landing place' ; each year they would do some type of re-enactment of that , my father used to take us to watch it .... for some reason.
Well they had to do something liven the place up. You can only stare at oil refineries so long before you get bored.

May 2011
Rural Australia
I used to live near Kurnell , Cook's 'landing place' ; each year they would do some type of re-enactment of that , my father used to take us to watch it .... for some reason.

On the other side , of the heads to Botany Bay, at 'La Perouse ' was a modern Aboriginal settlement . On the weekends the men had a snake and reptile show, spear and boomerang demo, etc . The women developed a 'shell craft' collecting shells and decorating things with them. We used to get taken to that too . The place has an interesting history, helping displaced indigenous for many years .

" Some of the Aboriginal community of La Perouse have an unbroken connection to the land for over 7500 years. Members of the Timbery family living in La Perouse today can trace their ancestors back to pre-contact times . "

La Perouse Mission Church | NSW Environment & Heritage

Uncle Laddie Timbery now lives and works mainly near Huskisson on the South Coast (where I have been for the last 20 years) and used to drive to La Perouse for the weekend.

ABC OPEN: How to throw a boomerang with Uncle Laddie

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Well they had to do something liven the place up. You can only stare at oil refineries so long before you get bored.
That depends - they got these big flaming chimneys and at night, when you are in the early 80s and sitting out on the sand hills ... on LSD ... you can watch them for some time :)

- not much of them left now - all the sand from here (foreground) got taken across the bay to make these (background) ;

1561150057557.png

May 2011
Rural Australia
IMAGE:

The drawing made by the junior artist Petit, first appeared in 1807 in Peron, Lesueur and Petit's Atlas. The expedition encountered a settlement on the tip of Peron Peninsula, Shark Bay, Western Australia. Three members of the Expedition mention this assemblage of huts. According to Baudin, "Twelve or fifteen huts, much better made, than those we have found hitherto, composed the village where this small tribe lived ..."

Houses 1807 Petit.png

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Not now ... or then . They used to be huge when I was lad , we would go sand skiing , and later , trail bikes .

So large that they filmed this there ;

( I dont know what those Germans where doing at Kurnell ! :) )

Some times, when my mother would need the car for the day she would drop my father off at work at the oil refinery, I would come for the ride, the road would have disappeared overnight, if windy . You would drive through the sand on the ' road' and when getting to a clearer part ....... Oh ! The road is actually way over there !

1562376590447.png

From the bay on one side of the peninsular, all the way over to the beaches on the coast .

Now ;

1562376745175.png

... that inlet in the top right hand corner ...... that;s where ' it ' all started ;

View attachment 21330

http://www.rusanjo.com/wanda.htm

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
People in Kurnell (pre 1700 ) lived in similar huts to those in the picture above . They where similar people and had similar technologies and lifestyles .

3295 km. I am wondering at what other locations on the planet people had such similar cultures 3000 km apart ?

Attachments

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Not now ... or then . They used to be huge when I was lad, we would go sand skiing, and later, trail bikes .

Some times, when my mother would need the car for the day she would drop my father off at work at the oil refinery, I would come for the ride, the road would have disappeared overnight, if windy. You would drive through the sand on the 'road' and when getting to a clearer part ... Oh ! The road is actually way over there !
http://www.rusanjo.com/wanda2.png
A European settler Thomas Holt began grazing sheep and cattle on the dunes. He removed trees and shrubs, exposing the sand.

Sad, but it is happening all around. Himalayas are being destroyed by road building because the villagers want that. Touch it and it is gone.