Dark Emu: Precolonial Australian native society - agricultural or hunter-gatherer?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
'Procession' on the way to Bora ground.

1538512939800.png

Preliminary part of the initiation - it involves a type of 'mini walkabout' * , preparation, information, stories, etc .

Modern Western tradition initiations still follow the same sequences.

* walkabout isnt just walking about, it can be a complex process involving a whole codification of landscape, myth, morals and ethics and social contracts embedded in the 'song lines' .

May 2011
Rural Australia
I assume they were self seeded after the ceremonies there were disrupted, someone must have kept the ring and inner ground clear to preserve it . I also assume the area was fairly clear originally , in the picture above you can see the plains in the distance, it offers a great view 'over country' *

Outside of the grounds around the ring are paddocks, so they are cleared of trees, as it is on the other side where it abuts the cemetery, giving the appearance that the ring has a grove of trees around it .

* " The earthen structures are not the only location of significance: the site itself is the location of spiritual energy, and they are parts of significant landscapes. The best approach to managing these sites is as significant nodes within a perceived spiritual and real landscape. Preserving an earthen ring within an area only slightly larger than itself is undesirable on several counts. It draws attention to the site; it ignores the fact that it was part of a ceremonial complex; it ignores the fact that it was part of a wider social, economic and spiritual landscape. At the other end of the scale, the entire area within which bora sites occurred could be seen as a continuous spiritual landscape, and conserving it in its entirety is hardly feasible. So clearly some compromises must be sought. "

http://johnwatsonsite.com/MyClassNotes/Topics/Poetry/Bora Rings.html

I can affirm, through personal experience as well, that Tucki Tucki bora ring is certainly still 'active' .
Thanks for the link to that article.

Similar History Discussions