Dark Emu: Precolonial Australian native society - agricultural or hunter-gatherer?

Status
Closed

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Unlikely. You would need to be running faster the Husan Bolt. And if you could do that I would wonder why you were wasting time posting here instead of training for the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Why ?

Well, he is obviously a troll. Look how he came in here ; did not read opening thread, the book in question or the summary. Immediately tried to mock and stir people up, tried a few insults about what he thought Aussies might be sensitive about. We had a laugh with him about it, and served a little back to him. Now he is upset and wants to fight about it . Thats why he is waisting his time here .

:D

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I've actually eaten kangaroo sausages before. Good eatin.

By the way, I'm a big sport hunter. Is hunting for kangaroos and emus legal in Australia? I'm actually serious, as I would enjoy a hunting trip in the Australian bush.

I would like to eat kangaroo again, and I have yet to try emu. But I heard it is better tasting than ostrich.
Oh sure . I used to go spotlighting as a youngun . Its a shame the nation never took to eating kangaroo, as they can reach plague proportions if not managed ... if you get my drift . You might be a little inexperienced though, things are different here .

I could get one of our girls to show you how to do it . But they often like to do it without a gun, just a big knife, and not a roo but a wild piggy, and you can take your dog too .

So come on down and I will introduce you to them ;

1555216760323.png

1555216816653.png

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Oh sure . I used to go spotlighting as a youngun . Its a shame the nation never took to eating kangaroo, as they can reach plague proportions if not managed ... if you get my drift . You might be a little inexperienced though, things are different here .

I could get one of our girls to show you how to do it . But they often like to do it without a gun, just a big knife, and not a roo but a wild piggy, and you can take your dog too .

So come on down and I will introduce you to them ;

View attachment 17780

View attachment 17781
Good stuff man. I enjoy hunting almost as much as I enjoy eating.

May 2011
Rural Australia
The indigenous people's did not have writing or tools, for agriculture or otherwise.
Evidence for Indigenous Australian Agriculture | Sovereign Union - First Nations Asserting Sovereignty
Evidence for Indigenous Australian Agriculture
By Rupert Gerritsen July/August 2010

Bogan Pick Proves Tilling in Aboriginal Agricultural History - Farming Secrets
Bogan Pick Proves Tilling in Aboriginal Agricultural History
By Bruce Pascoe

This native superfood is 8 times as nutritious as potato and tastes as sweet as coconut
murnong - native superfood

Last edited:
Jan 2015
Australia
How much of it is distinguishable from what stone age tribes did? Whenever someone says "indigenous people in Australia had that", what they really mean is "they had a version of it, under definition xyz, but that version was stuff stone age tribes also had", which is kind of the problem with invoking this stuff as a rebuttal to "weren't they a stone age people?" I don't think it's due to any natural superiority, etc, nobody has even hinted at that, I would think the environmental factors, chance, geographic location, etc, explain the lack of development; but that they lacked development isn't something one can debate. It's like when someone said they had "mining", but the version of "mining" they had was hacking hunks of clay out of the side of caves that had clay in it, using sticks. It's not the sophisticated and technical process evoked to the layperson by the term mining.

May 2011
Rural Australia
How much of it is distinguishable from what stone age tribes did?
Did stone age tribes by their use of fire create and maintain a tapestry of game reserves, interspersed with extensively tilled vegetable (murnong) gardens, some of which were terraced (such as the hills of Melbourne)? Did stone age tribes plant seed ahead of the rains in otherwise desert landscapes? IDK. Did they make fishing nets? Did stone age people build houses and villages? I have not studied the literature on the people of the stone age, and how their society functioned. Since you seem impressed with European history perhaps you can answer these questions.

Mar 2019
Kansas
I've actually eaten kangaroo sausages before. Good eatin.

By the way, I'm a big sport hunter. Is hunting for kangaroos and emus legal in Australia? I'm actually serious, as I would enjoy a hunting trip in the Australian bush.

I would like to eat kangaroo again, and I have yet to try emu. But I heard it is better tasting than ostrich.
Hunting - I would consider going after wild pig. Kangaroos are pretty boring. Once you dazzle them with a spot light they just really stand there lol

As for eating emu. I was not impressed, extremely mild flavor, really was not worth the expense. Kangaroo meat can be found in many places, not that hard to get. When you cook it, be aware it really never loses its raw look, so test how well done the meat is by touch rather than looking.

Crocodile tastes exactly the same as alligator, though the meat has a really strange consistency.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Hunting - I would consider going after wild pig. Kangaroos are pretty boring. Once you dazzle them with a spot light they just really stand there lol

As for eating emu. I was not impressed, extremely mild flavor, really was not worth the expense. Kangaroo meat can be found in many places, not that hard to get. When you cook it, be aware it really never loses its raw look, so test how well done the meat is by touch rather than looking.

Crocodile tastes exactly the same as alligator, though the meat has a really strange consistency.
Yeah, we have some pretty good sized wild boars where I live. Big as bears with tusks like razors. You definitely want to make sure you get a clean shot otherwise one of those buggers will tear you to shreds. Nothing lighter than a 30-06, though personally I prefer my Weatherby 300 magnum. Did not know there were wild boar in Australia, though considering the ones that live here were originally European imports it doesn't surprise me.

Didn't realize that about kangaroo meat, as I had eaten it only once. Someone ordered it for me from an exotic meat website as a Christmas gift. Though I still wouldn't mind going kangaroo hunting, as deer can be dazzled in a similar manner. Though that is illegal in most states.

Gator is some of the best meat I've ever eaten. I wasn't aware crocodile could be eaten as a matter of fact. I heard the meat sticks to the armor plating or something along those lines. Heard it was nearly inedible. Though big game hunting for a massive 20ft 20000+ lb saltwater crocodile in the outback would be well worth the effort at any rate.

Status
Closed