Dark Emu: Precolonial Australian native society - agricultural or hunter-gatherer?

Status
Closed

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Man, I outta go to Australia one of these days. Sounds like a prime hunting and fishing destination, two of my favorite pastimes. What are the laws on transporting firearms for the purpose of hunting? Say a Weatherby 300 Magnum bolt action rifle?

Oh, no worries at all, also you can easily sneak in some automatics, explosives, exotic flora and cocaine.

Dont worry about customs, they dont bother searching anyone that comes here . if they say anything ... just give them some of your laughs ..

Jan 2015
Australia
I'm all for closing it. It's going nowhere. I'm also curious how a raft of personal insults are being allowed to get thrown about at people who have different opinions. I feel pretty confident that if I said half the stuff Spec has I'd have been banned by now, with everything from accusations of racism to stupidity being thrown about freely. Then you have Sal calling this person and that person a troll. I was under the understanding personal insults were totally banned on this board, and you were supposed to focus on responding to people's arguments. I actually am not pro-censorship, but it's certainly made this thread unreadable.

Aug 2011
The Castle Anthrax
Dark Emu! Ahahahahahahahaha Dark Emu! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Dark Emu!!!!!!!!!!! Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dark Emu *gasp* hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't get over how funny that name is! As if emus are fearsome warrior animals! Big goofy birds! Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 100lbs of overgrown poultry! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Large bird attacks and kills its fallen owner in Florida

*All apologies for posting on this nuisance thread.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Houses, villages, and cemeteries do not necessarily correlate to a civilzational level of development. Plenty of semi-nomadic hunter gatherer groups had all of these features. That being said, I am skeptical that the aborigines had constructed anything more sophisticated the semi-permanent dwellings similar to the semi-nomadic peoples of North America. In all honesty, I look forward to reading the book as I am a primary source junkie. IF the primary sources cited in ... "Dark Emu" *snicker* are convincing, I might be change my mind. But for now, I see no reason to believe the Australian aborigines ever progressed beyond the paleolithic stage of human development.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Houses, villages, and cemeteries do not necessarily correlate to a civilzational level of development.
A 'civilizational level of development ' ?

This thread isnt claiming Aboriginals had developed a civilization. It is claiming that Aboriginals had houses villages and cemeteries. Some people, like CM are claiming that they didnt , but the book in question ( and now Swamp Booger ) says they did .

Plenty of semi-nomadic hunter gatherer groups had all of these features.
Thats right . SEMI nomadic ... thats one of the points of the book and the thread; that Aboriginals where not just nomadic hunter gatherers.

That being said, I am skeptical that the aborigines had constructed anything more sophisticated the semi-permanent dwellings similar to the semi-nomadic peoples of North America.
I dont think its being claimed otherwise ? I dont recall seeing any claim or evidence that any Aboriginal structure was for permanent all year round housing . . . . even if it was, I doubt it functioned anything like we conceive of as a 'house ' .

Here is a description :

" Blacks, about 50 miles N.E. of Port Fairy, by what is termed the Scrubby Creek, before settlers came among them had a regular Village. My informant who drew this states that there were between 20-30 evidently some of them big enough to hold a dozen people, their shape as under an aperture at top to let out smoke, which in rainy weather they covered with large sod, The form like a Bee Hive about 6 feet high + or - and about 10 feet in diameter. An opening about 3 feet for a door way which they could close at night with piece of bark. There, blacks made regular dams in creeks to catch fish. They could make straw nets and their baskets were different. About 1839 settlers first began to settle in this area. About May 1842 a station was formed on the opposite side of the creek to this Aboriginal settlement... "

Aboriginal Village of stone houses | Ergo

And no, it is not unique that people who are nomadic also have settlements ; some of them settle and some are nomads, or they might be nomads part of the year only ... even some empires where mostly nomadic people with a few major settlements .... some even had capitals with a king installed.

In all honesty, I look forward to reading the book as I am a primary source junkie. IF the primary sources cited in ... "Dark Emu" *snicker* are convincing, I might be change my mind. But for now, I see no reason to believe the Australian aborigines ever progressed beyond the paleolithic stage of human development.
But that isnt the question here . The question is ; where they only nomadic hunter gatherers and was the land managed like a huge estate .

Issues about 'stone age' , paleolithic , and neolithic terms are blurry , and become more so, the more research and findings are done ... like at Gobekli Tepe .... that turned things around somewhat.

The thing is , here in Oz, a lot of that evidence, unlike Gobekli Tepe, isnt buried in the ground and waiting to be dug up ... its buried in historical and government archives and records waiting to be dug up from there . Thats a process that has been going on here for some years now .

Status
Closed