Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The next posts will be out in April about pirates:

Hist02 – Next History Topic – Pirates

Anyways would love to hear from anyone who has similar interest! Thanks so much!
I understand that Pirates are a pop history thing in the USA and even worldwide due to some “blockbusters” since Errol Flynn’s movies or even previously with Robert Louis Stevenson’s book, but sometimes it seems that it only existed piracy in the Caribbean Sea during the 16th to18th centuries.

What about at least some mention to the piracy in the Classical Period, or in the Mediterranean Sea during the Middle Ages and Early Medieval period, both from Christians and Muslims, or in the Indian Ocean or in the South China Sea during those same 16th to 18th centuries?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
I was thinking in archeological dig , all the ancient civilization were unearthed by Westerners
some like Angkor , Harappat and Akkad having vanished from the annals
the most recent was the Danish expedition in the 1960ies which did great work on the discovery of Dilmun , possibly the mother root of the Ubaid culture which would make it the grand mother of Sumer

Mar 2019
United States
I understand that Pirates are a pop history thing in the USA and even worldwide due to some “blockbusters” since Errol Flynn’s movies or even previously with Robert Louis Stevenson’s book, but sometimes it seems that it only existed piracy in the Caribbean Sea during the 16th to18th centuries.

What about at least some mention to the piracy in the Classical Period, or in the Mediterranean Sea during the Middle Ages and Early Medieval period, both from Christians and Muslims, or in the Indian Ocean or in the South China Sea during those same 16th to 18th centuries?
Your are so correct

You are correct Tulius and I can say I am guilty of that. Even with the data I have and that limited research I have done so far I was surprised to see how much pirate activity there was in other parts of the world. I hoping to expand on that in some of my visualizations, specifically related to other time periods beside 16th-18th century and also during the time period a ton of activity in the Indian Ocean. Thanks for the suggestions. They truly helped!

Similar History Discussions