daughters of Eleanor of Aquitaine and Louis VII...

Dec 2012
a question...

Eleanor of Aquitaines' first marriage, to Louis VII of France, produced two daughters - Marie and Alix - they married into the French nobility, had children and both died in 1197/8.

does anyone know if any of their decendants entered the English Royal family in any of the myriad English/French Royal marriages at a later date?

only curious...

Jul 2007
Australia
Strangely enough:

Marie married Henry I, Count of Champagne who was the brother of Theobald V, Count of Blois, who was married to Marie's sister Alice.

And Henry I and Theobald V were the sons of Theobald II, Count of Blois, who was the elder brother of King Stephen. So a sort of backwards connection.

Jul 2007
Australia
All my genealogy info is buried under a pile of paperwork - so will have to dig out and dust off. Though recently purchased a book on Capetian France - so will dig that one out also.

House of Blois - still around in the mid-17th Century though merged with the ducal House of Orleans before being taken over by the French Crown.

House of Champagne - merged with the crowns of France and Navarre under Charles (IV of France and I of Navarre).

So a merging with the French Crown under the male line definitely but with regards to the English Crown - this would need further investigation

Jul 2007
Australia
From the lines I can trace clearly, there seems to be no direct descent that is linked back via marriage to the English Crown from either Blois or Champagne.

However, there are numerous indirect routes - through marriages into other Houses, notably Navarre, Brabant, Hainault - that eventually lead back to England. But it is a rather messy, yellow-brick-road type link.

Highly recommend this site if you are still interested:
Medieval Lands - http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/CONTENTS.htm

Dec 2012
UK
I guess the royal/noble gene pool was rather small and it was inevitable that intermarriage with cousins, no matter now distant, would be a common feature.

Jul 2007
Australia
Also, there was a period where the English monarchs weren't looking to France for their brides - but further afield in order to form new alliances - Spain, Germany for example.

Dec 2012
UK
Royal genealogy is one of my hobbies, but I haven't really studied the more remote descendants. One day, I'll get round to it :)