Dead King led Army to Battle

Jan 2019
Nairobi, Kenya
Has anyone ever heard/read about a King who died hours before Battle. Before he died, he ordered his people that upon death, he was to be wrapped and placed on his horse as his intention was to still lead his army to Battle.

When the enemy saw a dead person leading the living, they retreated!

I can't remember where I read/heard this story. Kindly help

Jan 2014
UK
Has anyone ever heard/read about a King who died hours before Battle. Before he died, he ordered his people that upon death, he was to be wrapped and placed on his horse as his intention was to still lead his army to Battle.

When the enemy saw a dead person leading the living, they retreated!

I can't remember where I read/heard this story. Kindly help
Sounds like the legend of El Cid (Valencia, Spain): El Cid

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Edward I " longshanks ", the hammer of the Scots , requested that his body be boiled , the bones tied together
put on a horse and led in front of his army to ride to battle again against the pesky Scots of Robert the Bruce

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
They attempted to with Fredrick Barbarossa, then tried pickling him in vinegar then gave up and buried him.

Close but not quite.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Nemowork , I've always though that Barabarossa died taked by a mountain stream and his body lost
this giving rise to the ( so banal ) legend of him returning to save the Germans in their hour of greatest need

maybe I read too much rubbish :oops:

Jan 2019
Nairobi, Kenya
Informative stuff. Thank you. But I'm still convinced I read somewhere that the dead King was mounted on his horse and LED his army to Battle. The enemy, on seeing this macarbe visual, fled.

I just can't remember who it was

Feb 2018
Texas
Abdul Malik led his army against the Portugese crusaders strapped to his saddle but dying. He expired near the end of the battle but the ruse that he was still alive was maintained till the end.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Sounds like the legend of El Cid (Valencia, Spain): El Cid
Must be this! Thank you
As stated above, El Cid is your man.

Except that he wasn't a king and he died of natural causes on 9th July 1099.

The Battle of Cuarte on which that daft finale to the film is probably based was on 21st October 1094 - where a very much alive Cid thrashed a much superior Almoravid army with a combination of powerr, brains and surprise - far more exciting than the 'legend' in fact

Similar History Discussions