Death of Edward II of England in 1327

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
Usually royal live a pampered and luxurious life.
But sometimes it can be a pain in the arse.

Edward II expired in Berkeley castle, supposedly from a red hot poker, which somehow left no mark or scar on the body. :eek::eek:

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
Possibly, possibly not. He was originally said to have died of a fever (according to Isabella and Mortimer), then to have been suffocated by being crushed on his his bed (according to Edward III, after he had disposed of Isabella and Mortimer). The 'red hot poker' story doesn't start doing the rounds until some years later.

There was also an alternative story that said he had escaped to Ireland and his 'death' and subsequent funeral were lies concocted by Isabella and Mortimer. His brother, in spite of having been present at the funeral raised an unsuccessful rebellion to restore him. After this failed he was said to have ended his days living a modest incognito existence on the continent.

There's a book 'Medieval Intrigue' by Ian Mortimer https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-Intrigue-Decoding-Royal-Conspiracies-ebook/dp/B011A10UN4/ that examines the evidence for the survival story and Edward's subsequent possible 'afterlife'. It's a solid piece of research but his interpretation and conclusions are not widely shared.

Last edited:
Apr 2014
Liverpool, England
Ah yes - 'Les Rois Maudits' - I remember it as a television series, shown by the BBC with subtitles. It was an exceptionally successful treatment of a mediaeval history subject as I recall. Yes, the build up to the despatch of Edward was rather graphic, but they cut away at the crucial moment - just as my mother dashed out of the room.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Usually royal live a pampered and luxurious life.
But sometimes it can be a pain in the arse.

Edward II expired in Berkeley castle, supposedly from a red hot poker, which somehow left no mark or scar on the body. :eek::eek:
I wonder if the red hot poker story was manufactured later on due to medieval English homophobia? After all, there were rumors that Edward II was gay or at least bisexual and that he and Piers Gaveston were lovers, were there not?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I wonder if the red hot poker story was manufactured later on due to medieval English homophobia? After all, there were rumors that Edward II was gay or at least bisexual and that he and Piers Gaveston were lovers, were there not?
That's definitely what the poker story was about. His young lovers had tremendous political power -- same thing happened with James I. His wife and her lover invaded England and took control. Presumably they did away with Edward II somehow, but it could have been natural causes.

Supporters of his son Edward III eventually captured Edward II's wife and Mortimer. The young king took power, Mortimer was executed, and Isabela made virtually a prisoner.

Similar History Discussions