Death penalties way worse than crucification

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Due to the popularization of Christianity, many people think crucification was a cruel enough punishment.
But wait! We had invented death penalties way worse than crucification by many folds.
The slicing of Hypatia might come to light; if Jesus really died by slicing and resurrected, some may shout "it sounds so much like Cell and Majin Buu in Dragonball Z".
The Chinese came with worst slicing: The record was to slice someone into 3000+ pieces.
Being eaten alive by rodents was pretty awful as well.
There were so many forms of death penalties that could make crucification relative "minor" in cruelty.

Nov 2015
Gehenna
Yep. The English Favorite: drawing, hanging, castrating, disemboweling and burning entrails while the condemned watches in amazement, removing the heart (that's when they actually die), beheading, and quartering.
I am glad it never came to frying the meat and feeding it to the public.
Medievals and Early Moderns sure weren't lazy. Now we just shoot the poor sods.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Yep. The English Favorite: drawing, hanging, castrating, disemboweling and burning entrails while the condemned watches in amazement, removing the heart (that's when they actually die), beheading, and quartering.
I am glad it never came to frying the meat and feeding it to the public.
Medievals and Early Moderns sure weren't lazy. Now we just shoot the poor sods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanged,_drawn_and_quartered

This was quite disgusting for sure, and the shock was that it was still around until 1870s!

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Depends on your outlook doesn't it?

Prior to today's nicey nicey times there is a case that quick clean death is no punishment for someone who has caused immense suffering to others.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanged,_drawn_and_quartered

This was quite disgusting for sure, and the shock was that it was still around until 1870s!
It was formally abolished in the 1870s, but I don't think that anyone was eviscerated while still alive after the 17th Century. If the victim was hung until dead, this punishment was no different from an ordinary hanging from his point of view.

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
It was formally abolished in the 1870s, but I don't think that anyone was eviscerated while still alive after the 17th Century. If the victim was hung until dead, this punishment was no different from an ordinary hanging from his point of view.
Yes, it's my understanding that as time went on more and more victims of this penalty were just hung until their death. Their lifeless body may have went through the drawing and quartering process but most most died long before then. Either they died "naturally" through this hanging process or they were helped along their way by the executioner before being sliced up. Still, it doesn't bear thinking about the suffering these earlier victims went through. As someone whose pain tolerance is low I am thankful I live today and not in those more "barbaric" times.