Death penalties way worse than crucification

Aug 2015
Korean in Canada
Crucifixion was painful, but i think its wrong that we tend to focus so much on Jesus' physical pain over his spiritual pain, like what his crucifixion meant to him spiritually, being separate from God due to overwhelming sins (at least that's what Christians believe).

There are so much worse painful ways to kill or even torture people than crucifixion. Heck i think more painful actions are happening even today. My friend told me about this book he read about medieval torture that's just too much and definitely more painful than crucifixion.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
Crucifixion was painful, but i think its wrong that we tend to focus so much on Jesus' physical pain over his spiritual pain, like what his crucifixion meant to him spiritually, being separate from God due to overwhelming sins (at least that's what Christians believe).

There are so much worse painful ways to kill or even torture people than crucifixion. Heck i think more painful actions are happening even today. My friend told me about this book he read about medieval torture that's just too much and definitely more painful than crucifixion.
The theory is extremely contradictory here and there:
Christians believe such blood sacrifice clears their sins; then, if it was a willing sacrifice, what is the so-called "spiritual pain"?
Some suggest that Mother Teresa told sick people they must suffer like Christ on the cross and reject any treatment.
Cruelty in death penalty often consists of different aspects:
The length and severity of suffering
Body integrity
Swift and clear deaths that preserve body integrity were considered more humane; clear decapitation was considered humane because it is usually swift and clear deaths. I admit that the decapitation scenes in the first episode of Game of Thrones turned my stomach.
Even currently, a few high profile murders are performed with utterly disgusting dismemberment of the body.
Should we be aware that humans can be appallingly cruel?

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Swift and clear deaths that preserve body integrity were considered more humane; clear decapitation was considered humane because it is usually swift and clear deaths.
For what it's worth Ibn Tumart, El Mahdi, founder of the Almohads, forbade the barbaric Almoravid practice of crucification for the reasons you mention and insisted on decapitation

All very well but surely a bit rich coming from one of the most fanatical and cruel fundamentalists that ever lived!!

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
For me, being tied up and forced to watch (and listen) to this while I'm fed intravenously to keep me alive would be the absolute worst fate I can think of.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
The death of Colonel Crawford at the hands of Delaware and Shawnee was very horrendous. He was ultimately burned at the stake, but before that he had numerous body parts cut off including his nose, ears, genitals, he was then burnt with hot brands and shot with black powder over a hundred times. The entire ordeal lasted most of a day.

The death of James Greathouse was also horrendous. They made a small incision in his abdomen, tied a portion of his intestines to a tree and then made him walk around the tree making his intestines wrap around the tree as he walked.

Both people were thought to have committed great crimes against the natives.

Oct 2015
heaven is a little country in Britain called Wales
Coming from God's country, watching Johnny Wilkinson kicking the winning points for England in the Rugby World Cup. Orrible , I still haven't recovered, the doctor has said I'll be allowed out soon.
I'll tell you anything!!! Whatever it is, it's my fault!! Smaller Wagon Wheels, Tapioca for puddings at school, global warming!!!
Please don't make me watch it again

Jan 2015
Rupert's Land ;)
There is also the one (I believe it was done in WWII) where they would lay a prisoner upon sharp bamboo sticks and they would let the bamboo grow through the prisoner..

come to think about it...

impalement looks pretty painfull as well..

Impalement - Wikipedia
This one was pretty grim,.

Lethal injection done by nervous and unskilled hands, missing the vein has often made it long and drawn out torture lasting sometimes as much as an hour. Why else would civilized nations around the world refuse to sell prisons in this country(US) these chemicals?

Lethal injection is state sadism disguised as ineptitude.
Not at all.
Hospitals routinely use general anesthetic to render someone unconscience, no reason why it couldn't be done properly

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Indeed. And is an outstanding theme. We need a thread about it.
The death of Colonel Crawford at the hands of Delaware and Shawnee was very horrendous. He was ultimately burned at the stake, but before that he had numerous body parts cut off including his nose, ears, genitals, he was then burnt with hot brands and shot with black powder over a hundred times. The entire ordeal lasted most of a day.

The death of James Greathouse was also horrendous. They made a small incision in his abdomen, tied a portion of his intestines to a tree and then made him walk around the tree making his intestines wrap around the tree as he walked.

Both people were thought to have committed great crimes against the natives.
I guess there are only so many methods the human mind can think of. These look remarkably similar to methods used in the Alpujarra/Morisco rebellion of 1568-71 between Christans and Moriscos.

The cutting off of feet, hands, private parts, eyes, nose and then burning is a method used by the more extremist of the rebels against a priest or two, as testified time after time in the book by Luis de Marmol Carvajal. Even moderate deaths of Christian villagers involved stripping, maybe stoning and then attacking with swords, men women and children

On the other hand the future rebel leader Aben Aboo was (whilst Aben Humeya was leader) interrogated and tied to a tree by his testicles, in such a way that a 6 ft drop was inevitable, extending certain parts. Unpleasant. Whether he was always going to take over the rebellion or whether this hardened his views, shall we say, I don't know

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Historia-R...1-8&refinements=p_27:Luis+del+MARMOL+CARVAJAL

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I imagine flaying would be a rather unpleasant way to die, especially if done slowly. I wouldn't want to fall into the hands of the Boltons or the Assyrians.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yep. The English Favorite: drawing, hanging, castrating, disemboweling and burning entrails while the condemned watches in amazement, removing the heart (that's when they actually die), beheading, and quartering.
I am glad it never came to frying the meat and feeding it to the public.
Medievals and Early Moderns sure weren't lazy. Now we just shoot the poor sods.
I wouldn't like to argue on quantifying suffering. That is a thing only the sufferers would truly know.

Death by crucifixion could take hours or days. The Roman executioners were very skilled. There is no doubt that other methods mentioned are also horrible.

Today we have the obscenity of death by lethal injection. These executions are apparently very painful; even if done properly--an injection is given to paralyse the muscles, so suffering will not show outwardly.

I've longed believed that executions should be held in football stadiums, at half time, and televised by cable. I have no doubt that it would be huge hit. Of course, to maintain viewer interest the Roman idea of the punishment matching the crime could be revived. Eg arsonists burned alive, rapists sodomised by a donkey, that kind of thing.

Oddly, it is the Russians who seem to have the most humane method of execution (unless they've changed it recent years) The victim i snot told in advance. He walks behind a single guard, and enters an empty cell. He is told not to look around. The guar then shoots him, once, behind the ear, with a pistol,

I came across this while looking up Russia's most prolific serial killer ,Andrei Chikotillo. There is a fascinating TV film "Citizen X"

Andrei Romanovich Chikatilo (Russian: Андре́й Рома́нович Чикати́ло; Ukrainian: Андрій Романович Чикатило; 16 October 1936 – 14 February 1994) was a Soviet serial killer, nicknamed the Butcher of Rostov, the Red Ripper, and the Rostov Ripper, who sexually assaulted, murdered, and mutilated at least 52 women and children between 1978 and 1990 in the Russian SFSR, the Ukrainian SSR, and the Uzbek SSR. Chikatilo confessed to 56 murders and was tried for 53 of these killings in April 1992. He was convicted and sentenced to death for 52 of these murders in October 1992 and executed in February 1994.

Andrei Chikatilo - Wikipedia

Similar History Discussions