Debunked fake history you probably believe

Aug 2017
Canada
Debunked fake history you probably believe. The misconceptions, false historical narratives and things you believe that aren't true. The History that is not taught in schools. Slaves built the pyramids? People thought the world was flat? Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake? Vikings had horned helmets? Hitler created the Autobahn? Polish cavalry charged German tanks? 300 Spartans fought Persians? Germany created concentration camps? NBS History will debunk some fake history!

Last edited:

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Debunked fake history you probably believe.
Or probably not.

Anyway, besides what AlpinLuke mentioned, I would recall, from the rules:

"Cross-posting is posting the exact same post in duplicate threads and is not allowed. The offending posts will be removed."

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Debunked fake history you probably believe. The misconceptions, false historical narratives and things you believe that aren't true. The History that is not taught in schools. Slaves built the pyramids? People thought the world was flat? Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake? Vikings had horned helmets? Hitler created the Autobahn? Polish cavalry charged German tanks? 300 Spartans fought Persians? Germany created concentration camps? NBS History will debunk some fake history!

Well actually ,no, I don't believe in all but one of those things; I don't know for certain if Polish cavalry was stupid enough to charge at tanks.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
Oct 2011
the middle ground
Well actually ,no, I don't believe in all but one of those things; I don't know for certain if Polish cavalry was stupid enough to charge at tanks.
I remember hearing the "cavalry" was more like dismounted infantry - with some antitank weaponry to boot - but German propaganda got involved... I defer to any WW2 experts on this...

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
As most of us are here because we have an interest in history I doubt many of us believe these things.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
As most of us are here because we have an interest in history I doubt many of us believe these things.
Actually, I did think that Hitler created the Autobahn. But now I know better.

Sometimes.error results because real history is often too complicated to teach to a bunch of kids in school, so it gets simplified and becomes, if not actual false, very misleading.

300.Spartans did fight against the Persians, it is just history neglects to mention the thousands of others that fought with the Spartans too. However, it was mostly just the 300 Spartans and 700 Thespians that fought to the death. When King Leonidas realized the Greeks were being outflanked thanks to the Greek traitor, he dismissed the bulk of the Greek army and acted as a rear-guard to allow them to escape. The 300 did fight to the death, as did 700 Thesbians, and the Greeks were heavily outnumbered. Herodotus put the total number of Greeks at 6,100, modern scholars the number at 7,000, and modrn scholars estimate the Persians at around 120,000. But all of that is a lot more complicated to.explain to a 11 year old, it is just easier to talk about just the 300 Spartans.

Similar History Discussions