Deciphering of a Greek inscription

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Tammuz, I see that you have posted it on another forum with similar results! That is a good and bad thing --results look similar but so are lacunae.

Nov 2016
Germany
Tammuz, I see that you have posted it on another forum with similar results! That is a good and bad thing --results look similar but so are lacunae.
I don´t exactly know which forum you mean, I didn´t post the same question anywhere else. If you mean the German forum, my username there is ´Chan´. Surely you mixed me up with another user.

Last edited:
Feb 2012
Portugal
Can anyone decipher this inscription?

View attachment 14717
Can't understand if following the taf and omicron in the second row and before the sigma is an iota or just some erosion mark?
Just some uneducated guesses could the below words be found?

...τοις τεχνιτ.. τεχνίτες? (to the artisans) (don't know what is the dative for artisans)
...ν Μαιων και απ.. Μαιων? (name)
...θιαν εις την συν... εις την (into)
...ον τους μετευ...
οιστατιμιαα...

Last edited:
Feb 2012
Portugal
Can't understand if following the taf and omicron in the second row and before the sigma is an iota or just some erosion mark?
Just some uneducated guesses could the below words be found?

...τοις τεχνιτ.. τεχνίτες? (to the artisans) (don't know what is the dative for artisans)
...ν Μαιων και απ.. Μαιων? (name)
...θιαν εις την συν... εις την (into)
...ον τους μετευ...
οιστατιμιαα...
Another uneducated guess:
οις τα τιμια (???) the valued things(?)

and to make the others more comprehensible and assuming the dative of τεχνιτες is τεχνιτοις:

τοις τεχνιτοις to/for the artisans
Μαιων και Maion and
εις την into
τους the (accusative masculine plural definite article)
τα τιμια the valued things
Now it's just a matter of recovering the truncated parts.
Just kidding and don't take any of these attemps to translate too seriously.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions