Defiance Trailer

Mar 2010
I believe its this speech here but I don't know where its from

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxYSqYAPHMo&feature=related"]Adolf Hitler Speech (In Colour) - YouTube[/ame]

Could be part of the Nurenburg rally, looking at the banners and stadium but really unable to say.

bunyip

Ad Honorem
Sep 2010
Defiance is an excellent 'little' movie ,loosely based on a true story. Highly recommended. In my opinion,the film is stolen by Liev Schreiber.

Defiance is a 2008 World War II era film written, produced, and directed by Edward Zwick, set during the occupation of Belarus by Nazi Germany. The film is an account of the Bielski partisans, a group led by four Jewish brothers who saved and recruited Jews in Poland (now Belarus) during the Second World War. The film stars Daniel Craig as Tuvia Bielski, Liev Schreiber as Zus Bielski, Jamie Bell as Asael Bielski, and George MacKay as Aron Bielski.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_(2008_film)

Feb 2011
Perambulating in St James' Park
Looks like a good movie, it's fairly well known that communities of Russians escaped into the forests as the Wehrmacht stormed past, they'd then go out to raid supply columns to get ammunition and food.

Another interesting anecdote is when the opposite occurred. During the German retreat a ragtag of troops would fight their way back to Germany whilst entirely cut off and surrounded by Russian armies in a 'cauldron/kessel'. They'd generally ignore orders from Hitler/the Chain of command to hold ground and not retreat so essentially it was like a private army with officers and men all following their own orders to get back to Germany. The technical term for it is roving cauldron/kessel. Something similar happened in Hube's pocket/Kamenets-Podolsky Pocket I believe.

EoR

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
Looks like a good movie, it's fairly well known that communities of Russians escaped into the forests as the Wehrmacht stormed past, they'd then go out to raid supply columns to get ammunition and food.

Another interesting anecdote is when the opposite occurred. During the German retreat a ragtag of troops would fight their way back to Germany whilst entirely cut off and surrounded by Russian armies in a 'cauldron/kessel'. They'd generally ignore orders from Hitler/the Chain of command to hold ground and not retreat so essentially it was like a private army with officers and men all following their own orders to get back to Germany. The technical term for it is roving cauldron/kessel. Something similar happened in Hube's pocket/Kamenets-Podolsky Pocket I believe.

EoR
Nice catch, EoR. These stories, about both sides, would be most interesting to me. I thoroughly enjoyed Defiance, but it only renewed this interest that I have had for so long. Most of my reading of the German side of such "roving cauldrons" are fictional and historical fiction books. Iron Cross, The Citadel and so-forth. I would deeply appreciate any recommendations as to accounts of such actions by German survivors. As to the movie, I highly recommend it and, not to spoil it, the factual epilogue of the people characterized is rather profound.

Similar History Discussions