Development of countries after recent civil wars

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
A few countries have emerged from devastating civil wars, and I would like to review these cases:
Africa first:
Angola: Oil boom led to a superficial middle income country status, but the agriculture and other sectors have not really recovered.
Mozambique: Situation has improved quite substantially, and it is currently mine-free; still, it remains one of the poorest in Africa.
Sierra Leone and Liberia: Two very similar situations, both are quite unlikely to grow beyond absolute poverty lately.
Asia:
Cambodia and Vietnam: Due to fairly substantial growth of light industries, they are fast growing economies, but they are still the poorest in the Far East (except for North Korea).
Would any people talk about Croatia and Slovenia?
I would like to leave discussions to others, since I can be quite overlooking for world events.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
I like the way you describe Angola as a "superficial middle income country" - that describes perfectly the situation of that country.

In regards to Slovenia - they didn't suffer a civil war, they just had a 10-day war of independence that killed less than 100 people from both sides.

Other nations that fully recovered or are recovering well after a recent civil war is Rwanda, Algeria, Lebanon or the autonomous Russian republic of Chechnya.

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Florania
I like the way you describe Angola as a "superficial middle income country" - that describes perfectly the situation of that country.

In regards to Slovenia - they didn't suffer a civil war, they just had a 10-day war of independence that killed less than 100 people from both sides.

Other nations that fully recovered or are recovering well after a recent civil war is Rwanda, Algeria, Lebanon or the autonomous Russian republic of Chechnya.
Equatorial Guinea also had an oil boom, but has infrastructures and economic diversity improved much?
One issue with oil booms: it sounds so great when countries have it, but collapse of oil prices and depletion of the oil reserve mean economic disaster.
Call it A Streetcar Named Disaster if you like.