Did any historical factors influence the monist tendency of East Asian religion?

Feb 2017
Canada
Just wondering why the distinction between dualism in 'Western' religions, as opposed to the monism in East Asian religions like Buddhism and Taoism.

Was this completely random, or is there a reason for it?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
And Buddhism is not really an East Asian religion.
While Buddhism originated in South Asia, the versions of it practiced i East Asia are distinct and could be considered East Asian religion.

Kind of like Christianity. Although Christianity originated in the Middle East, you can't really consider the Roman Catholic Church and Protestantism as Middle Eastern religions.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
While Buddhism originated in South Asia, the versions of it practiced i East Asia are distinct and could be considered East Asian religion.

Kind of like Christianity. Although Christianity originated in the Middle East, you can't really consider the Roman Catholic Church and Protestantism as Middle Eastern religions.
That's actually true.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
And Buddhism is not really an East Asian religion.

In religion, it seems more that the religions of India are monistic. And panethism in the West tends toward be monist. The Indian belief in avatars, and different gods are a really different aspects of the same god tend to promote a monist tendency, I thin,

Similar History Discussions