Did any Zionists ever advocate a Jewish state somewhere in Eastern Europe?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did any Zionists ever advocate a Jewish state somewhere in Eastern Europe? For instance, I was thinking of (in a scenario without the World Wars, Communism, and the Holocaust) having Eastern European Jews reproduce so much over a sufficiently long time period that their share of the total population in Eastern Europe is gradually going to increase from 10-17% to 50+% in some parts of Eastern Europe. That should be enough to create a Jewish state in a part of Eastern Europe--especially if the Jewish percentage there will rapidly keep on increasing further and further. Also, I suppose that a part of such a strategy could include trying encourage Eastern European Jews to move to certain areas in order to increase the Jewish percentage in these areas even further.

Anyway, did any Zionists (in a broad sense of the term "Zionist") ever advocate such a strategy--as in, using the "Jewish womb" to attain demographic dominance in parts of Eastern Europe and thus to create large-scale pressure for the establishment of a Jewish state there?

Any thoughts on this?

Apr 2018
India
Well Tehodor Herzl wrote Judenstaadt after becoming disillusioned about both France and Germany. That's the beginning of Zionism as a political concept. If the Jews don't face discrimination, or more specifically Herzl doesn't face discrimination in the German nationalist organization he first joined, then he would remain there to become a true 'cultured European (socially accepted as) and a Jew' which he so daydreamed about.

In that case there is simply no need for a separate Jewish state as Zionism as a political idea wouldn't have developed in the first place.

Jan 2014
Rus
As i understand, Zionists didnt like East European Yiddish nation. They didnt realize it as sterling.

So their goal was to abolish Yiddish and recreate new nation from these crude.

So, i am sure that Zionists didnt want any Jewish state in Europe. May be some others Jewish powers wanted it, but not Zionists.

Mar 2019
KL
i think jews will face a second holocaust if they ever demand such a think or strategically started maneuvering to become dominant is specific region to later demand such a state.

i think in europe hatred against jews is still high, and this is not me saying but a jew saying this, i watched a video about an israeli feeling more comfortable as a tourist in india rather than europe, as soon as i find that video again, ill post it here.

regards

Last edited:
Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The Greek city of Salonika was known for its large Jewish population since ottoman times. During WW2 the jewish population either fled or was removed, after the war many returned only to find Greeks in their former homes. The government response was Salonika was always a greek city.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Greek city of Salonika was known for its large Jewish population since ottoman times. During WW2 the jewish population either fled or was removed, after the war many returned only to find Greeks in their former homes. The government response was Salonika was always a greek city.
Salonika wasn't alone in this regard. Jews were either the majority or the plurality in various Eastern European cities before the Holocaust. For instance, here's a map of the dominant ethnic/linguistic group in various parts of the Russian Empire in 1897:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...e_by_largest_ethnolinguistic_group_(1897).svg

Notice the many Jewish-majority or Jewish-plurality cities in the Pale of Settlement.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Edit: Further investigation has shown some credibility to that map. The populations however were too scattered to be able to form a state. Only by mass migration to a certain region could a Jewish state in eastern Europe be plausible.

Last edited: