Did any Zionists ever advocate a Jewish state somewhere in Eastern Europe?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Can a Jewish region within A-H become an independent Jewish state if A-H will ever collapse and break up?

Also, I would think that a mass deportation of Russian Jews to Siberia and/or Central Asia is going to make them flee en masse to the West--such as to the US (which had open borders for Europeans until World War I).
If the jews in A-H were numerous in a region to justify their own district and the Austrian commonwealth (or whatever they had planned to transform it into) created one, and Austria later broke up; then yes maybe they would become an independent state (lot of maybes...). Until another state gobbled them up.

If the jews are being forcibly deported to central asia/Siberia, then they probably aren't going to be given an opportunity to flee to America. If many of them flee to Germany/Austria (or other border states), then maybe they could later move to America.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If the jews in A-H were numerous in a region to justify their own district and the Austrian commonwealth (or whatever they had planned to transform it into) created one, and Austria later broke up; then yes maybe they would become an independent state (lot of maybes...). Until another state gobbled them up.
Couldn't an independent Jewish state in Central Europe be as strong as Israel was, though?

If the jews are being forcibly deported to central asia/Siberia, then they probably aren't going to be given an opportunity to flee to America. If many of them flee to Germany/Austria (or other border states), then maybe they could later move to America.
Would the Tsar actually want to permanently keep them in Siberia, though? I mean, Tsarist Russia wasn't opposed to emigration (including for Jews) like Bolshevik Russia was.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Couldn't an independent Jewish state in Central Europe be as strong as Israel was, though?

Would the Tsar actually want to permanently keep them in Siberia, though? I mean, Tsarist Russia wasn't opposed to emigration (including for Jews) like Bolshevik Russia was.
Possibly, if it had time to organize itself or was surrounded by new/weak states. If it was sandwiched between Russia and Germany it probably wouldn't survive long term without outside help.
If Russia is going to all the trouble to exile people to Siberia, then the said people probably aren't being given a choice anymore.

Also, in addition to mass migration to a certain area, there is the option of simply having much more children than the rest of the population has in order to increase the Jewish percentage of the total population. Interestingly enough, nowadays Israel has a much higher total fertility rate than European countries have. Had Jews in the Pale of Settlement had a much higher total fertility rate than their non-Jewish neighbors had, then their share of the total population in the Pale of Settlement would have rapidly increased.
What about some sort of massive conversion to Judaism of the whole population? That would be the third option.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What about some sort of massive conversion to Judaism of the whole population? That would be the third option.
That would be extremely difficult to pull off since:

1. Judaism discourages conversions--unlike Christianity and Islam.
2. Any Jews who attempt something like this are quickly going to get expelled from Eastern Europe and/or killed either by angry Gentile locals or by the governments of their countries.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
I can actually help here. The answer is yes, well sort of. During the 19th century the Zionist's when looking for a place to create their ethnic state for a brief moment set their eyes on the Patagonian region (very thinly populated at the time, well even today) as a place. They very quickly forgot about it, however fast forward more than 100 years to the present and there is a conspiracy theory that has even been echoed by a Chilean congressman of Palestinian heritage (he had to admit eventually it was an ill formed hoax) here in Chile (not sure if Argentina) that goes by 'Plan Andinia' (Andean plan) which was the original Zionist name for the idea which was quickly dropped.
Andinia Plan - Wikipedia

*Argentina received relatively massive Jewish immigration (19th early 20th century) but to my knowledge almost all of it concentrated in the Buenos Aires vicinity. Chile also has some Jewish people (20,000-50,000 c.) also not in the south.