Did anyone else here watch the Fall of Eagles?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I watched the Fall of Eagles five years ago:

Fall of Eagles - Wikipedia

Basically, the Fall of Eagles is a 1974 television drama about the Hapsburg, Hohenzollern, and Romanov royal families/dynasties and about what these dynasties did between 1848 and 1918. Personally, I found the acting in this series to be very good and was able to learn some new things about these royal families. One can also say that this series has a bit of a melodramatic element due to the fact that all three of these royal houses ultimately ended up falling--with the Romanovs suffering an especially cruel fate due to their execution by the Bolsheviks in 1918.

The drama and court life of these three European royal families was certainly very fun to watch, though. Indeed, politics back then was much more high-class than it is nowadays--at least in the U.S. nowadays. In the grand scheme of things, though, it was interesting to look at the men who led the three great empires in Central and Eastern Europe in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Anyway, did anyone else here watch this series? Also, if so, what were your thoughts on this series?

Feb 2011
Scotland
I watched it 45 years ago when it was first on TV! Friday night viewing on the BBC, compelling viewing in sumptuous costume with historical accuracy and and a stellar cast of well-known names of the time. Included Captain Jean-Luc Picard in an early role as Lenin!

BBC historical drama was always well researched and efforts made to make the characters look right also.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
I watched it probably three or four years ago. The series has been referred to, always positively, in a number of threads in this forum. It's a very good good series.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
I never saw it.

The series are available on YouTube, here is Episode 1:
Oh great.

Just checked Youtube, looks like the whole thing is available free. Guess what I'll be watching tonight. It has Patrick Stewart. With hair? (he had his hair in Caligula).

I had a look around, the series is also available on Ebay, DVD, for around $A35.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Oh great.

Just checked Youtube, looks like the whole thing is available free. Guess what I'll be watching tonight. It has Patrick Stewart. With hair? (he had his hair in Caligula).

I had a look around, the series is also available on Ebay, DVD, for around $A35.
I would advise you not to waste your money on something that you can get for free (legally, that is).

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@Futurist.

Thanks.

No intention of buying more dvds; have a truckload already. Haven't watched any of them in over a year.

Dvds are redundant technology. imo. These days I watch either Netflix . Other content by using my internal network, IE I have a large external hard drive attached to my router, can watch on any device, but usually TV.. Free VLC media player will play just about any format .

Have an Android TV, and Android box for non Smart TV in another room.

Similar History Discussions