Did Canadians watch American television pre cable (as in the 1950's-1980's?)

Apr 2014
Earth
What was Canadian televison broadcasts like before the advent of cable television? Did Canadians watch American television programs or did they only have their own shows and their own programming totally independent of the United States?

Could and did people in say, Toronto, Ottawa and other cities be able to watch shows like Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Gunsmoke, Dick Van Dyke, Ed Sullivan, I Love Lucy and other popular shows of the era? Lets say like 1965. I do realize that most of the population of Canada lived near the US border and could easily get broadcasts, like Windsor, Ontario which is right across from Detroit. But probably these signals did not reach Toronto since TV signals then probably were only maybe a 100 miles in diameter. Did Canadian stations by reruns of shows like I Love Lucy and this is how Canadians were exposed to American shows, or were American shows shown first run, since more than likely American shows were much more prevelant and probably better than what was shown north of the border?

Which shows were from Canada at the time which were popular but were unknown to American audiences then by virture of broadcasting strength? the opposite can be true of American cities close to the American border like Buffalo and Detroit which again could easily get Canadian broadcast signals and could be exposed to their programming and maybe like shows that Americans outside of the broadcast zone would have never heard of or seen?

So were American TV shows shown in Canada on their stations when they were first broadcast or did the Canadian audience have to wait until these shows were in reruns? Also, I believe that there is a law in Canada that at least radio had to play a certain percentage of Canadian songs and musical groups, did this apply to television also?

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Don't know about Canadians, but as you say, those of us who lived around Detroit could watch Canadian TV ("CBC"). Got to know and love hockey by watching "Hockey Night in Canada" on CBC. I've thought that the US should conquer Canada if only to get its national anthem.
O Canada! - Canadian National Anthem

There were some other shows, but most of them were just as stupid as on US pre-cable TV.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I understand Canadian authorities once considered moving border inspections to the east of Windsor (across from Detroit). Local residents would have to prove they were Canadian to travel to the rest of Canada. :eek:

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
What was Canadian televison broadcasts like before the advent of cable television? Did Canadians watch American television programs
Yes

Could and did people in say, Toronto, Ottawa and other cities be able to watch shows like Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Gunsmoke, Dick Van Dyke, Ed Sullivan, I Love Lucy and other popular shows of the era? Lets say like 1965. I do realize that most of the population of Canada lived near the US border and could easily get broadcasts, like Windsor, Ontario which is right across from Detroit. But probably these signals did not reach Toronto since TV signals then probably were only maybe a 100 miles in diameter.
Distance Toronto to Buffalo NY - 62 miles
Distance Montreal to Burlington VT - 100 miles
Distance Vancouver to Bellingham WA - 44 miles
Distance Vancouver to Seattle WA - 120 miles

From Vancouver we could pick up Seattle broadcasts pretty clearly

Did Canadian stations by reruns of shows like I Love Lucy and this is how Canadians were exposed to American shows, or were American shows shown first run,
Yes

since more than likely American shows were much more prevelant and probably better than what was shown north of the border?
We had SCTV, Stargate and Hockey Night in Canada.

They have the Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo

....You be the judge....

Which shows were from Canada at the time which were popular but were unknown to American audiences then by virture of broadcasting strength?
SCTV
Beachcombers
Nature of Things

Similar History Discussions