Did Christianity destroy ancient science? Debunked.

Status
Closed
Jan 2017
Sweden
Hi! Ive upploaded a video on my youtube channel debunking the claim that christianity "destroyed" the achievements of the ancient natural philosophers.

I would really appreciate if you viewed the video and gave your own opinions and thoughts on the subject.

Apr 2011
Finland
I'll watch the video later but it would be silly to claim Christianity destroyd. Hindered, slowed down definately.

We don' t know what all was lost in Alexandria for example, although Caesar did his part in destroying library already.

I wonder why things like Antikythera mechanism was lost. Nothing to do with Christianity probably.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Science didn't amount to much in the ancient world anyway. Look at Ptolemy with his cycles and epicycles to bolster geocentrism.

Jan 2017
Sweden
- Mikainen.

"We don' t know what all was lost in Alexandria for example, although Caesar did his part in destroying library already".

If your refering to the so cald "burning of the libary of alexandria" in 391 then not so much since there was not any libary there at the time for the christians to burn down. Recomend you check out James Hannams esseay concerning that event.

The Mysterious Fate of the Great Library of Alexandria

As for the Antikythera mechanism dissaperance, I don´t know. Any litterature you can recomend on the subject?

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Why is it so popular to blame Christianity for these sort of things? As others have said, the famous library was destroyed by Caesar, not by Christians. Christianity is even blamed for the fall of Rome.

Jan 2017
Sweden
Maki.

If I would guess it´s because of a lot a baggage from bad historical schoollarship from the 1700 and 1800s thats still is reproduced in populare culture and elementary education even though it´s been rejected by historians of science since the 1970s.

In the end of the video I show a short clip from an interview with the historian Ronald Numbers with a link to the whole interview. Recommend you check it out!:)

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
I wonder why things like Antikythera mechanism was lost. Nothing to do with Christianity probably.
There was probably only one and it went to the bottom of the sea. You could claim divine intervention I suppose but the idea that charting the technology of a civilisation by individual achievement is probably a little dubious. Had such mechanisms been commonplace that would be different, but the guy who thought up the Antikythera mechanism and the craftsman who made it to order were another blip on the chart, not its average. Things like this happen. After all, motor manufacturers are talking about hybrid cars like they were invented last week. Nope. Check out cars made by Ellis a century ago. What this amounts to is communication and education. If someone invents something fantastic, so what? Unless his ideas are adopted and exploited, nothing changes.

Status
Closed