Did climate change only really start in the early 90s

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
Anyone who believes in anthro global warming is an idiot--straight up--who is not worth one's time. There is no point in debating junior-high-school level intellects with a cause such as these "global warming" flat-earthers. It's a religion, you see......
If you recall I agreed with your point that the climate is always changing, you responded by claiming that the globe is cooling (with no support for that assertion) When Mr Howard presented some actual evidence to show otherwise, this nonsense is the best you can manage

Anyone who thinks dismissal like that is a sensible response to the considered conclusions of the vast majority of those with professional knowledge and experience of a subject would probably struggle at so demanding an intellectual level as junior high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: specul8 and GogLais

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I remember reading about a book of advice for Germans migrating to Pennsylvania in the 1840s. As I remember, it was quoted as saying snow was on the ground from December to March. In my personal memory as a resident of south eastern Pennsylvania I can say it has been decades at least since the ground was covered with snow from December to March.
It may be dismissed as non-scientific of course but I’ve had plants in leaf and flowering in my garden in December that would never have done so only a few years ago. This is in North-West England.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
It may be dismissed as non-scientific of course but I’ve had plants in leaf and flowering in my garden in December that would never have done so only a few years ago. This is in North-West England.
I'm told it's the Klopp Effect :lol:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
This may be true, I’ve recently read a work of fiction from the 1970s that was based on the fear of a new Ice Age. However the fact is that temperatures are rising, there’s something in my newspaper today about the Ross Ice shield melting far quicker than was anticipated.
Fiction ?

I remember the cold scare of the 70s and it wasn't fiction - we where told a big freeze is coming . But then after a while it was ; ... just as well we are having all this atmospheric pollution to 'balance it ' . Back then the bad thing was fluorocarbons ? I think that was it , as a spray propellant , in refrigeration, etc .

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
Fiction ?

I remember the cold scare of the 70s and it wasn't fiction - we where told a big freeze is coming . But then after a while it was ; ... just as well we are having all this atmospheric pollution to 'balance it ' . Back then the bad thing was fluorocarbons ? I think that was it , as a spray propellant , in refrigeration, etc .
The original hypothesis discussed carbon molecules combining with water vapor in the upper atmosphere that would reflect above average sunlight back into space. Research on the topic, specifically satellite monitoring of cloud tops showed that the size of the combined molecule would in fact not be big enough to produce this effect.

Some may recall a number of probes to Venus launched by the Russians in the late 60s early 70s. Part of their instrument package was to test this theory on the cloud tops of Venus, and were instrumental (pardon the pun) on showing the idea was flawed.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Global warming causes extremes of weather. You won't simply get warmer or shorter winters, especially every year.
You can't look at a few years in isolation; you need to look at the trends. Over time winters will get warmer and/or shorter but it is never the same every year.
Like tides ; some places have a 6 inch hig htide and in other places the same tide is 1 meter . Things get warmer, a big chunk of ice shelf gets detached and floats away in the ocean, which cools the ocean , and is transfered to localized winds,. In different circumstances, warmer water flows under the ice and melts it from below as well, causing it to rise and let more under with an increased flow, which mikes it rise more, all the same time, the part exposed to the air is melting as well .

I think we need to look at whats happening to larger systems with more 'momentum' - like the deep sea temperature and permafrost melt , they seem to indicate things with huge implications

1556744212826.png
One of the craters from methane gas explosions that appeared as a result of permafrost melting

1556744343876.png

1556744421765.png

Some Arctic ground no longer freezing—even in winter

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
The theory actually dated from the late 60s. There was only one paper that considered the potential for an ice age. Further study showed the hypothesis was flawed and was retracted by the author.
So thats what happened . I vaguley remember it Some one blew it up a bit back then .... for one paper . It didnt last long though.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
I remember reading about a book of advice for Germans migrating to Pennsylvania in the 1840s. As I remember, it was quoted as saying snow was on the ground from December to March. In my personal memory as a resident of south eastern Pennsylvania I can say it has been decades at least since the ground was covered with snow from December to March.
Just since I have been in this location - 30 years , I have noticed ; many winter mornings the paddocks would be white , covered in frost, I havent seen that in 5 years .

MG1962a

Ad Honorem
Mar 2019
Kansas
So thats what happened . I vaguley remember it Some one blew it up a bit back then .... for one paper . It didnt last long though.
Yeah it was the era for it. Another great idea from the time was the Jupiter effect, which suffered a similar fate. But to be fair it was an era with a real interest in science so any new and interesting ideas got published in a lot of places. Fast forward to the 90s and people use this interest to prove climate scientist have been unable to decide.......therefore poisoning the well.

But the real issue from back then, that hardly anyone remembers is smog. Which was really really bad in a lot of cities. Thankfully well founded policies regarding fuel emissions and other pollution control systems have improved things incredibility

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Based more on my own observations than anything else, I believe that the climate is generally warming and that our industrial activities have a good bit to do with it.
However, a few comments:

First, media coverage on the topic of human-caused climate change is misleading; the press always selects the most dire number from a fairly broad range of possible outcomes.

Second, the fact that climate studies express results as a range shows that the science is not nearly as “settled” as the media portray it. Climate science is young and is studying very complicated phenomena; we should expect to see quite a bit of uncertainty in study results.

Third, the focus in almost all studies and media reports on negative impacts is misleading because a warming climate is, in general, good for humans. First and most important, there is more food in the world than would otherwise be the case. Why? Because CO2 is, literally, plant food. So the mass starvation widely projected just decades ago has not happened.

Fourth, I am more confident than most that human ingenuity and nature combined will cope with the increasing temperatures. I don’t buy into the “catastrophic” consequences predicted regularly in the popular press.