Did climate change only really start in the early 90s

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I'm sure I'll be banned any second for saying this, but no, climate change didn't start in 1990. I started around 5 billion B.C. But you keep watching CNN.......
Right, but what we are talking about here is anthropocentric climate change - that humans are accelerating the rate of change dye to our industrialisation.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
There is a clear signal from 1980 with no obvious cause ,
the solar influence could account for a fraction , the generation of a whole raft of gases another
the massive consumption of fossil carbon is a good bet as a root cause

as for the projected future and consequences , the predictions are all over the place
going from mildly annoying to planetary global extinction

Dec 2014
Kent, England
Did climate change only really start in the early 90s, if you look at the hockey stick graph, you can argue that global warming started in the 70s, on the other hand, you can also look at the graph and conclude that global temperatures were still around the normal range as late as the 1980s, and that global warming only really unambiguously started in the 90s.
There is incontrovertible evidence that the hockey stick was deliberately falsified by the scientists who invented it.

Well established facts such as the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warm Period were ignored to make the shape fit AGW. Most of the ill effects we were promised have not transpired .

Still, lots of careers and lots of funding depend on AGW.

i am eagerly waiting for a new generation of climatologists. As the careers and the funding are already taken up the new guys will have to invent something else to frighten us and get their turn in the sun.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
This thread is now in the Chamber.

There will be ZERO tolerance. Any rudeness, sarcasm, ad hominems, will earn you a month off. There will be no further warnings.

Oct 2015
Norway
There is incontrovertible evidence that the hockey stick was deliberately falsified by the scientists who invented it.

Well established facts such as the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warm Period were ignored to make the shape fit AGW. Most of the ill effects we were promised have not transpired .

Still, lots of careers and lots of funding depend on AGW.

i am eagerly waiting for a new generation of climatologists. As the careers and the funding are already taken up the new guys will have to invent something else to frighten us and get their turn in the sun.

…….. because highly eduacated scientists can't possibly get work without cheating, lying and breaking the guidelines of their profession?

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
the ice extend , also called the Cryosphere , is a good indicator of the world climate
this include mountains glaciers and snow fields , permafrost , polar perennial land and sea ice

it is quite easy to measure and indicate some recession since three decades

As for the main subject which is the consequences , I personally believe there is not much to panic about
as far as food production is concerned , it should be beneficial on the whole

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
On the long geological time-line it is established than the Earth is cooling

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Five_Myr_Climate_Change.svg

My own personal theory is that the Earth rotation is slowing , this create temperature instability
it should be pointed out that for a few millions years the poles have ice on them ,
before the poles supported a good amount of plant matter
hint the crude oil in Alaska and Siberia are the remains of plants ,
global temperature instability has been increasing well before human interaction

And .... the poles moved around ;

Abstract
A statistical technique is described that uses the geographical distribution of lithological indicators of climate (carbonates, evaporites, coals and tillites) to estimate the past position of the geographic pole. This technique was used to estimate the movement of the South Pole across the supercontinent of Gondwana during the Palaeozoic. Our results indicate that during the Cambrian and Early Ordovician the South Pole was located adjacent to northwestern Africa. The pole moved into the Amazon Basin during the Late Ordovician and into south-central Argentina during the Silurian. Throughout the Devonian and Early Carboniferous the pole moved slowly from a location in southern Argentina to a position near the south coast of Africa. From the Late Carboniferous and into the Permian the South Pole swung eastward across central Antarctica. The Early Palaeozoic and Late Palaeozoic portions of the palaeoclimatically determined APW path are in good agreement with available palaeomagnetic data. The Middle Palaeozoic portion of the palaeoclimatically determined APW path agrees better with the palaeomagnetic data that places the South Pole in southern Argentina, than with the palaeomagnetic results that place the Devonian pole in central Africa.

• © The Geological Society 1990. All rights reserved.
Regarding the climate at south pole during Gondwanaland era , I live in an area that has remnant Gondwanaland flora !

The Gondwana Rainforests of Australia | NSW National Parks

1557784269089.png

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Fifteen years here. I have a dozen tropical and sub-tropical fruit trees in my front yard that would not have survived a single winter when I was a kid.
Tropical fish spotted in Sydney Harbor ;

" Tropical corals have been identified off Sydney's northern beaches and are "absolutely proliferating", providing habitat for a range of other species typically found much further north ... "

https://www.smh.com.au/environment/...other-species-head-south-20180904-p501ns.html

Similar History Discussions