Did French resistance to the Reformation make the Revolution more likely?

Nov 2016
Australia
Is there any evidence that French dissatisfaction with the Catholic clergy/ church had a role in mobilising popular support for the eventual revolution?... or would the idea of 'religious freedom' resulted in ideas of 'personal freedoms' and perhaps accelerated it?
Any thoughts?

I found this article- but my background historical knowledge is pretty poor.. not sure I understand it! :)

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Considering the strict relation between the French Monarchy and the Catholic Clergy [the First State], in France the Reform would have meant anyway the fall of the "Ancien Régime". And I guess they would have preferred the Republic to the Crown. We can say that, coming back to historical reality, that French Protestants supported the Revolution to finally become free French citizens ... Protestants in France had been suffering the Catholic core of the power at Paris.

Probably it's more correct to say that Protestans were among the forces behind the Revolution, not exactly that they were the origin of it.

To elaborate a bit, we should keep in mind the facts: The Declaration of Human and Civil right [August 1789] ensured freedom to Protestanst as well, the Constitution of 1791 allowed freedom of worship to all. Protestants actually hadn't organized a Protestant movement to support the Revolution and they didn't show to be united about it. In any case, the Terror saw the closure also of the Protestant churches [and this should make us focus the attention on the deep anti-clerical / anti-religious soul of the Revolution], to reopen after the death of Robespierre in 1794.