Did Hitler ever criticize European countries for their colonialism and imperialism?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did Adolf Hitler ever criticize European (specifically Western) countries for their colonialism and imperialism?

I mean, I know that he criticized the Western Powers in his January 1939 speech to the Reichstag about how they complain about the plight of the Jews in Nazi Germany and yet refuse to take in a lot of German Jewish refugees (something that Hitler viewed as an example of Western hypocrisy). Thus, I am wondering if Hitler ever criticized Western countries for criticizing Nazi Germany's desire to acquire Lebensraum (in Czechia, in Poland, and elsewhere) while at the same time having no problem running huge colonial empires themselves.

It just seems like it would have made logical sense for Hitler to say something along these lines: "You're criticizing me for invading Czechia and Poland? Well, why exactly are you controlling huge colonial empires and denying national self-determination--including a vote on independence--to the peoples in your colonies and your empires?"

Anyway, does anyone know if Hitler ever criticized Western countries (especially Britain and France) for their colonialism and imperialism and for their double-standards in regards to this?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
He criticized Britain's rule of India in a certain speech one time, though I don't remember his exact words now. I came across that speech in a book which was a collection of the greatest or most famous speeches of the 20th century. I was surprised to see Hitler included in the book so I immediately jumped to that one and I do remember reading his criticism of Britain's grip on India in there.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
Did Adolf Hitler ever criticize European (specifically Western) countries for their colonialism and imperialism?

I mean, I know that he criticized the Western Powers in his January 1939 speech to the Reichstag about how they complain about the plight of the Jews in Nazi Germany and yet refuse to take in a lot of German Jewish refugees (something that Hitler viewed as an example of Western hypocrisy). Thus, I am wondering if Hitler ever criticized Western countries for criticizing Nazi Germany's desire to acquire Lebensraum (in Czechia, in Poland, and elsewhere) while at the same time having no problem running huge colonial empires themselves
The problem for Hitler was that his political creed meant he was fully in favour of what he considered the "superior races" controlling the lesser races, he saw it as the natural order of things.
In fact he considered the British to be soft in the way they treated dissent in the Empire, he once told Halifax that the way to deal with Ghandi and calls for independence for India was to have him shot and if that didn't work keep shooting groups of his supporters until they gave up on the idea.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
From a mere perspective of communication that would have been odd for the reason that also Germany had a colonial empire and colonial empires were considered obvious "attachments" of the great powers. To conquer European countries was a different matter.

On the contrary, there is even who suggests [noting that Hitler adored movies about American Far West] that he admired in some way the Americans for their expansion and the way they treated the Natives [showing their racial superiority, according to him].

This is a kind of urban legend which is not rare to meet today among American Natives.

Anyway it seems that this admiration existed.

The Biographer John Toland has noted that Hitler admired the American conquest of the West, particularly the decimation of the Native American population. The Nazi concentration camps may have been based, in part, Toland argued, on the Native American reservation system.
This article of the Washington Post develops the argument.

Jan 2018
Netherlands
He criticized Britain's rule of India in a certain speech one time, though I don't remember his exact words now. I came across that speech in a book which was a collection of the greatest or most famous speeches of the 20th century. I was surprised to see Hitler included in the book so I immediately jumped to that one and I do remember reading his criticism of Britain's grip on India in there.
This one? The criticism does not concern the treatment of the Indians so much as the division of the spoils.

One might well believe that in these countries of liberty and riches, the people must possess an unlimited degree of prosperity. But no! On the contrary, it is precisely in these countries that the distress of the masses is greater than anywhere else. Such is the case in 'rich Britain.'

She controls sixteen million square miles. In India, for example, a hundred million colonial workers with a wretched standard of living must labor for her. One might think, perhaps, that at least in England itself every person must have his share of these riches. By no means! In that country class distinction is the crassest imaginable. There is poverty - incredible poverty - on the one side, and equally incredible wealth on the other. They have not solved a single problem. The workmen of that country which possesses more than one-sixth of the globe and of the world's natural resources dwell in misery, and the masses of the people are poorly clad.. In a country which ought to have more than enough bread and every sort of fruit, we find millions of the lower classes who have not even enough to fill their stomachs, and go about hungry. A nation which could provide work for the whole world must acknowledge the fact that it cannot even abolish unemployment at home. For decades this rich Britain has had two and a half million unemployed; rich America, ten to thirteen millions, year after year; France, six, seven, and eight hundred thousand. Well, my fellow-countrymen - what then are we to say about ourselves?

It is self-evident that where this democracy rules, the people as such are not taken into consideration at all. The only thing that matters is the existence of a few hundred gigantic capitalists who own all the factories and their stock and, through them, control the people.
Berlin, Rheinmetall-Borsig Works -- Speech of December 10, 1940

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Hitler wanted to restore and expand German greatness. He regretted that Germany had lost its overseas colonies after WW1 and often called for Germany's colonies to be restored.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
This one? The criticism does not concern the treatment of the Indians so much as the division of the spoils.
No I don't think it was that speech, since I recall the tone of it being fiery and dramatic rather than calm and straightforward like this one. But thanks for looking.

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
The Nazi's quite mischievously did criticize greatly (at least for propaganda purposes mainly during the early war) the British for their use of concentration camps during the Boer War (where the term comes from if i'm not mistaken), they even made a quite popular movie made in Germany and shown a lot during the war were the heroes were the Boer's fighting mean evil Brits.
Found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm_Kr├╝ger

Not quite Hitler, but his regime.