Did Hitler Really Fake His Death Multiple Times During WWII?

pnoozi

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
New York
With all the mass shootings we have, we can observe that it's not exactly uncommon for mass murderers to commit suicide before they can be caught. So I think it's real.

Jan 2014
Florida
Someone told me that during WWII, Hitler faked his own death a few times, by using the corpses of officers that looked like him. The debate is, did Hitler really do this, and was his real death actually real?
Why would Hitler want to fake his own death? What reason could he possibly have for this? Why would he want to dishearten the German people multiple times. If anything, he only had an incentive to fake assassination attempts in order to use them for propaganda. Also this should be in the European history sub-forum.

Jul 2012
Someone told me that during WWII, Hitler faked his own death a few times, by using the corpses of officers that looked like him. The debate is, did Hitler really do this, and was his real death actually real?
I never heard anything of that kind and I very much doubt it. An official faking of his death would be the worst he could do. Nazi Germany was a Führer State. Without Hitler Nazism would have lost its core overnight and likely have fallen apart.

Faking assassinations wouldn't make sense either. Any news of an assassination attempt would damage the mantra of "Ein Reich - ein Volk - ein Führer". The 20th July plot couldn't be kept under the lid because the coup had occurred openly in central Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Paris and other places. In all these locations anti-Hitler-forces had seized key installations and arrested SS, SD and Gestapo personnell. Thus, that had to be dealt with on the PR front (Freisler's show trials come to mind). All other attempts were never made public.

Jan 2014
Virginia
Why would Hitler want to fake his own death? What reason could he possibly have for this? Why would he want to dishearten the German people multiple times. If anything, he only had an incentive to fake assassination attempts in order to use them for propaganda. Also this should be in the European history sub-forum.
Sorry, I didn't know this was the wrong forum. Germany does not come to my mind as European. Anyhow, I heard it on a show called " Ten Things You Didn't Know About: Adolf Hitler." That's why I asked, because I don't know.

Jan 2014
Virginia
I never heard anything of that kind and I very much doubt it. An official faking of his death would be the worst he could do. Nazi Germany was a Führer State. Without Hitler Nazism would have lost its core overnight and likely have fallen apart.

Faking assassinations wouldn't make sense either. Any news of an assassination attempt would damage the mantra of "Ein Reich - ein Volk - ein Führer". The 20th July plot couldn't be kept under the lid because the coup had occurred openly in central Berlin, Vienna, Prague, Paris and other places. In all these locations anti-Hitler-forces had seized key installations and arrested SS, SD and Gestapo personnell. Thus, that had to be dealt with on the PR front (Freisler's show trials come to mind). All other attempts were never made public.
So thus for, her again, the history got it wrong, again. Just another reason why I want a time machine. Find out what REALLY went down! :)