Did Hong Kong become a culturally confused society?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
While Hong Kong became economically wealthy as a British colony, the effects to the culture of the society seem to have been altered from China's culture, but not necessarily to the point of becoming western. Today, we see student protests over having to pass tests in Mandarin, but their English standards are not exceptionally high. It almost seems as if the city was caught between two dominating cultures and could not decide between either one, creating cultural confusion.

Sep 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Today, we see student protests over having to pass tests in Mandarin, but their English standards are not exceptionally high.
Everyone I've ever met from Hong Kong spoke perfect English. Admittedly, these were all people outside Hong Kong, but I was under the impression that most Hong Kongers spoke English like native speakers. Is that not the case?

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Everyone I've ever met from Hong Kong spoke perfect English. Admittedly, these were all people outside Hong Kong, but I was under the impression that most Hong Kongers spoke English like native speakers. Is that not the case?
No, students who travel overseas to study usually speak very well, but they tend to come from families that are better off or they get those opportunities because they perform better in school. In Hong Kong, the average taxi driver can speak enough to get people to a place, but he/she usually doesn't go beyond that.

Also, the emphasis on speaking English has dropped in the past decade or so. When Hong Kong was a British colony, the only way to get a good job was to speak English. Most high schools taught in English, but this meant that the textbooks were in English but the lessons were conducted in Chinese. Then, after the takeover, some schools switched to a Chinese medium of instruction. Some schools did not, and those tended to be the better ones. Today, people don't have to speak English to get good jobs, since there is a lot of business going into Hong Kong from Mainland China.

Oct 2013
Canada
Hong Kong is not culturally confused. It is very much Chinese and very little British, and it owes more of her success to China and Chinese people instead. The pro-West side in Hong Kong is grossly exaggerated by biased and intrinsically immoral Western, and thus this create the illusion that Hong Kong is something that it isn't.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
Hong Kong is not culturally confused. It is very much Chinese and very little British, and it owes more of her success to China and Chinese people instead. The pro-West side in Hong Kong is grossly exaggerated by biased and intrinsically immoral Western, and thus this create the illusion that Hong Kong is something that it isn't.
And, all this is fact because "you" say so, huh?

I mean, we all know that only "you" are not biased here.

Dec 2010
Hongkong is fine, as always. I don't see any meaningful reason why she is "confused."
The pro-West side in Hong Kong is grossly exaggerated by biased and intrinsically immoral Western, and thus this create the illusion that Hong Kong is something that it isn't.
You're quite right, indeed.
But think about it, isn't the pro Chinese side more or less exaggerated too? Hongkong, like Guangzhou before her, is the gateway between China and the world. Beijing keeps it that way because they've never wanted the Western Devil's influence right under their nose; but they couldn't live without the devil's money either.
Chairman Mao could have easily "liberated" Hongkong in the 1950s. He didn't. Think about it!

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Agreed until "intrinsically immoral" which is quite a judgement. If you really hold that view then the west should have completely colonized China and encouraged Japan in its aggressions.

Jan 2018
China (Hong Kong SAR)
Yes, Hong Kong is very weird.

My little brother, born and raised in Hong Kong speaks with the typical American accent ascertained from Cartoon Network, and you will continually meet young people who want to go crazy and have fun like in the west, that is to say, they rather would live in, say, London or whatever because of its clubbing potential.

Then you have the sensible, educated young people who's grounded and understands the reality of the situation, like me, who find them weird and ridiculous but they really don't matter anyway.

By the way, if there are people in Hong Kong who are blinded by the entertainment culture of the U.S., there are also people who are blinded by the entertainment culture of Japan, Keroro was extremely popular in HK for awhile.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
@1Conbo
Well, there is still this going on:

Last week, the Baptist University Students’ Union held an eight-hour protest at the school’s Language Centre. Mandarin language proficiency is a HKBU graduation requirement, and local students must pass the centre’s test if they wish to be excused from taking a Mandarin course.
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/01/...ls-suspension-two-students-mandarin-test-row/

Many of the people I know from the time I lived there are neither pro British nor Pro China, but they do complain about the changes that are taking place. Some are not cultural, such as the increases in property prices, but some of them do feel that Cantonese should have a higher place in that society.

Similar History Discussions