Did India's leadership hope after partition that Pakistan will eventually rejoin India?

Status
Closed
Apr 2019
India
Yes, Modi is different. Vajpayi allowed his son-in-law, Pramod Mahajan and Brijesh Mishra to amass wealth. Modi is a 'fakir'. If not for the love of his country, Modi can say good-bye to office and power any time without any regret.
I personally don't endorse any type of corruption but any day I prefer a little corrupt leader over inefficient, coward and disloyal leader.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
In the hurly-burly of real life as a top political person---say being the Prime Minister of a huge and complex country like India--it is next to impossible to avoid coming across some favour or the other being offered to you, every now and then. It may be even a cup of tea or a meal. Do you refuse it---though it might have been offered as a gesture of genuine friendliness--just because you want to abide by your principles ? Of course, the cunning crooks soon note that you do not refuse small favours and then they might trap your flunkeys into accepting bigger bribes so that you can be pressurised and soon you join the crooks. To withstand the blandishments of persons like your wife or friend you require a heart of cold steel. May be Modi has it and moreover he is not burdened by his wife who is estranged from him. He has no known ' friends '. All very good for India.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
And Modi is different?

Also, what about Vajpayee? Was India also rudderless and full of looting under his watch?
Vajpayee did good work for the economy and infrastructure but rural voters were not impressed and BJP lost 2004 election. Modi didn't repeat the same mistake in 2019, his party swept everywhere except 3 states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.

Reactions: Futurist

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Why was Modi more effective than Manmohan Singh was?
Manmohan Singh is just an economist, real power were with Sonia Gandhi. Apart from that, Modi revived BJP after 2004 and 2009 debacle, he is known as pro business and many people see him as strongest PM in the country after Indira Gandhi.

Reactions: Futurist

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
I personally don't endorse any type of corruption but any day I prefer a little corrupt leader over inefficient, coward and disloyal leader.
I do not know of any leader other than Modi who is brave, efficient and caring (well, Shah is there for a later time). He may make a mistake here and there, but he will make India progress. So says a 'Modi Bhakta'. Yeah, I am one.

Reactions: ksk and Futurist
Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Enemy of India is smart, very smart.

It has created two strategic assets in Pakistan. For building these it has made the latter country take loans from it, which is a potential debt-trap - ask Sri Lankans and Maldivians. Currency of the enemy country can be used in certain areas of Pakistan as cash medium of exchange.

Why will it want Pakistan to merge with India? Why not itself?

India and rest of the world grossly under-estimates the Dragon.
I presume by "Dragon" you are referencing China? Chinese imperialism is certainly on the ascent in Asia, so I can understand the cause for alarm in India.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Were it not for China, we would not have gone for the bomb. But the Chinese had their own compulsions, can't blame them.
While we Indians are alarmed to a certain extent by the way Pakistan is being dragged into or rather allowed itself to be dragged into the clutches of the PRC, we are not unduly apprehensive of any war involving use of conventional weapons with these two---and simultaneously, too. This is not 1962, and the PRC is well aware of it. Our armed forces are more in numbers than in 1962 and far better equipped and trained. We have broken Pakistan into two in 1971 and can do it again.We have to bear the strain of military expenditure, yes. But what can we do about being a neighbour of two hostile countries ?

Status
Closed