Did Islam Condone Pedophilia?

Feb 2019
California
Sincere question here from an ignorant Westerner:

I have repeatedly read and heard that Mohammed married a six year old and consummated the marriage when the bride was nine. But I don't read Arabic so perhaps these are just revolting lies spread by other cultures or religions? Does this story appear in the Koran or is it just a nasty slander? If it is true, and given that Islam considers Mohammed to be the "perfect man," doesn't that mean that Islam not only accepts but outright encourages having sex with nine year old girls? What features of Islamic civilization, past and persisting, might be connected to this possible acceptance if not outright encouragement of abuse and pedophilia?

Mar 2016
Australia
But I don't read Arabic so perhaps these are just revolting lies spread by other cultures or religions? Does this story appear in the Koran or is it just a nasty slander?
Yes, it appears in the Koran. Historical truths shouldn't be assumed to be "revolting lies" or "nasty slander" just because they are inconvenient or uncomfortable. There's a lot of brutality and immorality described in the Koran, so if one wanted to smear its reputation they wouldn't have to invent stories. There's plenty of stuff there already to use.

If it is true, and given that Islam considers Mohammed to be the "perfect man," doesn't that mean that Islam not only accepts but outright encourages having sex with nine year old girls?
This is correct, although it must be said that what was viewed as the "perfect man" in 7th century Arabia is certainly a far-cry from our modern perceptions and morality, and the vast majority of Muslims would not at all condone such an act today. Just like in the Old Testament in the Christian religion there are many things written that were perfectly acceptable at the time, but even the most devout followers today disregard or ignore them as being conflicting to 21st century secular morality. Religious piety only extends so far when it conflicts with basic human decency.

Sep 2012
India

I have repeatedly read and heard that Mohammed married a six year old and consummated the marriage when the bride was nine. But I don't read Arabic so perhaps these are just revolting lies spread by other cultures or religions? Does this story appear in the Koran or is it just a nasty slander? If it is true, and given that Islam considers Mohammed to be the "perfect man," doesn't that mean that Islam not only accepts but outright encourages having sex with nine year old girls? What features of Islamic civilization, past and persisting, might be connected to this possible acceptance if not outright encouragement of abuse and pedophilia?
Well, the Koran says that the believers ( i.e.Muslims ) will ascend to heaven and will have 72 virgins available to them for enjoyment,if and only if they kill a 'Kafir '( i.e.unbeliever ). The brutality and the sexist bias of Islam is well known.

Oct 2014
Osaka

I couldn't care less either way, but from what I could find with a quick Wikipedia search, the assertion by @WhatAnArtist , that it is in the Quran, is false. Wiki says "Her age is not mentioned in the Qu'ran."

Ultimately though we're basically going on "hadith" oral accounts written over 100 years later by people who had a vested interest in claiming her age for political reasons. The other thing that makes me sceptical about any claims is that there's a lot of BS relating to Japanese culture and history online and I woulnd't be surprised if that extends to other non-western cultures too. Or to rephrase that, I can already see people do it to Japan, China, Russia and several other cultures so there's no reason to think Middle East is an exception.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Islam is muhammad and muhammad is islam, infact if you remove muhammad then islam is nothing, so in that sense yes islam does condone paedophilia as earliest primary source on life of muhammad state that muhammad married aisha when she was 6 and consummated the marriage when she was 9/10 years old

And besides this quran 65:4 supports paedophilia as well because it allows consummation of marriage for girls even if they don't have started their menstrual cycle, which would include little girls as well.

Mar 2019
Florida, US
To be fair, when Muhammad consummated the marriage with the 6-year-old Aisha, it was not thought of necessarily as a form of pedophilia, but mainly just the act of performing the ritual rights of what a marriage is required during ancient time periods. However, since it was condoned by Muhammad the Prophet, it can then be argued that pedophilia was embraced as normal, and is a normal part of the Islamic religion. However however, recently Islam has condemned such acts with the public execution of a man in Yemen who was accused of sexually-assaulting a four-year-old. Therefore, even if pedophilia was a minor part of Islam, it is certainly not allowed now, and is viewed as unacceptable or "haram" by the religious community.

Link to News Story: Pedophile publicly executed for raping and murdering four-year-old

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
To be fair, when Muhammad consummated the marriage with the 6-year-old Aisha, it was not thought of necessarily as a form of pedophilia, but mainly just the act of performing the ritual rights of what a marriage is required during ancient time periods. However, since it was condoned by Muhammad the Prophet, it can then be argued that pedophilia was embraced as normal, and is a normal part of the Islamic religion. However however, recently Islam has condemned such acts with the public execution of a man in Yemen who was accused of sexually-assaulting a four-year-old. Therefore, even if pedophilia was a minor part of Islam, it is certainly not allowed now, and is viewed as unacceptable or "haram" by the religious community.

Link to News Story: Pedophile publicly executed for raping and murdering four-year-old
muhammad did not consummate the marriage when she was 6 rather when she was 9/10....and yes the view of child marriage is very much looked down upon,but it depends on specific culture and area,but islamic justification for the practice will surely make it harder to fight this idiotic practice though.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, the Koran says that the believers ( i.e.Muslims ) will ascend to heaven and will have 72 virgins available to them for enjoyment,if and only if they kill a 'Kafir '( i.e.unbeliever ). The brutality and the sexist bias of Islam is well known.
Does that apply to women as well or only to men?

Mar 2019
Florida, US
Point taken. In regarding each individual's interpretation and belief in Islam, if an individual who chooses to live by Muhammad the Prophet's direct example of marrying a minor, they can argue then that they have the justification to do so by following Muhammad the Prophet. However, if following a more secular example, more Muslims would choose to condemn the practice depending on their individual beliefs that marrying a minor is "haram". It supposedly could go both ways... although it is unfortunate that such a practice can still be defended within the religion.

Similar History Discussions