Did many of the ex-colonies knew they were going to be poor when they got their independence?

Sep 2018
Sri Lanka
Yes, yes the colonizers were evil, I get that already BUT did many of these countries knew that after they got their independence, they would end up facing poverty, corruption and all sorts of new evils and just went ahead with it?

Or did they not know?

Did they think to themselves "ahh, building a country, that's easy" only to end up in a miserable failure and now many of them want to flee their countries and want to live in their ex colonial masters countries?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Yes, yes the colonizers were evil, I get that already BUT did many of these countries knew that after they got their independence, they would end up facing poverty, corruption and all sorts of new evils and just went ahead with it?

Or did they not know?

Did they think to themselves "ahh, building a country, that's easy" only to end up in a miserable failure and now many of them want to flee their countries and want to live in their ex colonial masters countries?
Isn't this your third or fourth thread of this kind? Interesting how, in your imagination, "facing poverty" is not one of the consequences of the near absolute termination of much of the preexisting regional economic activity plus decades of forced exploitation for some other region's benefit, but instead a consequence of independence. I guess every Congolese that was forced to work for Lord Leverhulme's company was rich and well off.

To give a partial answer to your question, a Nigerian peasant breaking his back under forced labour in mines so that British people could have the materials they needed for their industry (and later for their wars) probably did not have the luxury of having enough time to become so great at clairvoyance. And based on some of their decisions I would have to say that the colonial administrators do not seem to have put much effort into clairvoyance either. Who really knows the future?

But many, many people from the country I am from have cursed the day it was created and foisted upon them by the colonialists.

Last edited:
Sep 2018
Sri Lanka
Isn't this your third or fourth thread of this kind?
Well.... I can't ask questions about "if X is evil, why doesn't the world destroy X" because I might get banned, so I'll settle for this.... plus I love these kinds of questions too.

As for the rest of what you said..... let me put it this way..... if Nigeria and Britain were next together geographically, would Nigerians still stay in Nigeria?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Well.... I can't ask questions about "if X is evil, why doesn't the world destroy X" because I might get banned,
If others have already been banned for repeatedly asking those kinds of questions, maybe it is because they are considered low quality posting and repeatedly asking those questions even after warnings might be seen as some kind of trolling.

As for the rest of what you said..... let me put it this way..... if Nigeria and Britain were next together geographically, would Nigerians still stay in Nigeria?
I haven't read about any substantial migration to the UK from the region that is now Nigeria in the millennia prior to its creation. Based on history a better question might be, would the British simply leave it alone or would they invade?

Also, there is not even some enormous population of Nigerians in the UK anyway: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-so-many-Nigerians-in-UK

Number of Nigerians living in the UK - Office for National Statistics

Less than half of one percent of the Nigerian population went to the UK - and most of that only as a result of a previous immigration policy of one particular British government (Blair's government) - and you think there's even a question of "would Nigerians stay in Nigeria"? Nigerians aren't there in such massive numbers as you or some others seem to believe, but perhaps because they would stand out their presence would be more noticeable. And as for illegal immigrants, even if their numbers were added, it still wouldn't rise above half of one percent. It's an extremely small fraction of people migrating there.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal

Or did they not know?

Since when facing poverty and corruption were "new things" to those newly independent countries? Your post makes it appearing that poverty and bad governance is a new reality of ex-colonial society, when in fact it was very much part of the colonial system as well.
In fact many of the newly independent leaders persisted in upholding some of the remaining colonial extractive institutions and modes of governments in order to perpetuate exploitation and enrich their own pockets in detriment of their own population.
Many of the newly independent leaders of those countries were not really interested in modernizing and developing their countries.

Sep 2018
Sri Lanka
Also, there is not even some enormous population of Nigerians in the UK anyway: https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-so-many-Nigerians-in-UK

Number of Nigerians living in the UK - Office for National Statistics

Less than half of one percent of the Nigerian population went to the UK - and most of that only as a result of a previous immigration policy of one particular British government (Blair's government) - and you think there's even a question of "would Nigerians stay in Nigeria"? Nigerians aren't there in such massive numbers as you or some others seem to believe, but perhaps because they would stand out their presence would be more noticeable. And as for illegal immigrants, even if their numbers were added, it still wouldn't rise above half of one percent. It's an extremely small fraction of people migrating there.
Yeah, yeah, you're happy being free.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Yeah, yeah, you're happy being free.
So in response to that simple fact based response that doesn't tally with your agenda, this is the best sort of response you can give?

I don't see why you even waste time creating these threads that you barely comment on, or which you provide low quality posts in when you do comment.

Similar History Discussions