Did Mary I and Elizabeth I hate Henry VIII?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Galatians 3:28.

And I wouldn't use the French Revolution as a good example of anything, especially in attempting to institute equality. And both the Church and a monarchical-like entity came back into being shortly thereafter.
Where did I say it was a good thing? I only said it was the first attempt to institute equality across an entire society.

Last edited:

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium
This is a typical example of double standards.
Ok, fine, let's compare him to other kings (King of Spain, King of France, King of Scotland, or the Pope) of his times. Did any other king kill his wife?
No, it is an example of different standards.
Normal standards of behaviour and morality do not apply to Henry as he is the king. Public, religious and legal opinion places him above the common man.
You are applying modern morality to historical events, again.

As for other rulers offing their nearest and dearest:
13 Historical Rulers Who Ruthlessly Killed Members Of Their Own Families

Henry is in notable company it seems.

Reactions: Duchess of York

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Start with Ken Ham.
Dinosaurs and the Bible

Then move on to these guys
Latest Articles - creation.com

Take your kids here on your next vacation. Fun for the whole family.
Creation Museum
Didn’t see the image you posted or the name of a Christian preacher who says Jesus was contemporary with the dinosaurs. when there were dinosaurs. Your first source and last seem to contradict the image of Jesus riding dinosaur. So where did your image come from? And what was its relevance to this thread?

Last edited:

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
Again I don't know where in the Bible I can find the relevant text, but I am prett
Yeah totally agree. That's why reading the Bible is such a big headache for me. However, with regard to adultery, I think it is very unlikely any text in the Bible encourages adultery.
It’s the seventh of the Ten Commandments. BTW. I had an agnostic professor of anthropology who told us that we would never understand the US unless we read the Bible. I’d suggest that’s true for all European history as well as western art

Reactions: Runa and Tulius
Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Start with Ken Ham.
Dinosaurs and the Bible

Then move on to these guys
Latest Articles - creation.com

Take your kids here on your next vacation. Fun for the whole family.
Creation Museum
I'm a theology major as well as a history major. I can tell you that it's mostly American evangelical Christians who believe in this malarkey, insofar as Young Earth and the dinosaurs were a CIA ploy. :zany: I'm an Anglican and I believe in evolution, the Big Bang (a Catholic concept!), and science. It's a bit of a low blow to try to conflate all Christendom with the few Low Church nutjobs.

Reactions: Star and JaegerRex

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Where in the Bible or in Catholic Canon Law does it say that everyone is equal in the eyes of God? IMO the first time society made a real attempt to institute equality was the French Revolution, and they had to get rid of the Church and the Monarchy to do it.
Let me joke and say that often Jesus Christ is considered the first communist.

There are parts of the Bible that clearly point that all men are equal in the eyes of God. Note that I wrote men, that doesn’t necessarily include women!

I am not much acquainted with the Bible, studied much more the Ancient Testament part, but I think most will be found in the Epistles of Saint Paul, since it was he, if I am not mistaken, that universalized the cult that was mostly Jew (for instance Epistle to the Colossians, 3: 11), and in the idea that we are all brothers (equals) and God is the father off all.

But I will doubt that you will find similar “communist” (joking) like of thinking in the Catholic Cannon Law!

But I fully agree with you about the French Revolution.

Well, a pastor I am familiar with often says "Everyone is equal in the eyes of God." He is a well respected pastor and a university philosophy professor. I don't know whether he is right or wrong. Anyway, I respect you for your broad range of knowledge.
I agree with that pastor in this case, we can find that line of tough in the Cristianism (see above). But I think you need to improve the quality of your sources.

David Vagamundo

Ad Honorem
Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
I'm a theology major as well as a history major. I can tell you that it's mostly American evangelical Christians who believe in this malarkey, insofar as Young Earth and the dinosaurs were a CIA ploy. :zany: I'm an Anglican and I believe in evolution, the Big Bang (a Catholic concept!), and science. It's a bit of a low blow to try to conflate all Christendom with the few Low Church nutjobs.
I’m Roman Catholic and share the Duchess’s views. But I see have not had a response to my requests for sources and names. So I conclude injection of the image into the thread was simply a reflection of the commenter’s anti-Christian bigotry rather than an attempt to further the discussion.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
I’m Roman Catholic and share the Duchess’s views. But I see have not had a response to my requests for sources and names. So I conclude injection of the image into the thread was simply a reflection of the commenter’s anti-Christian bigotry rather than an attempt to further the discussion.
No it was a reaction to the generalisation that pastors preach equality. Some do, some do not. Catholicism definitely does not; inequality is a fundamental part of its dogma. Catholicism is strictly hierarchical; the Pope, along with his bishops and priests, have certain rights and prerogatives that the rest of us do not. I've already cited some Canon Law that proves it. Maybe you want me to cite some of the copious examples where your Catholic Church is bigoted against women?

Last edited:
Reactions: Raquelos

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
No it is a reaction to the generalisation that pastors preach equality. Some do, some do not. Catholicism definitely does not; inequality is a fundamental part of canon law Catholicism is strictly heirarchical. The Pope, along with his bishops and priests, have certain rights and prerogatives that the rest of us do not. I've already cited some examples from Canon Law.
You are mixing themes that are common to all (well most) of the Christian religions, such as the mentioned theme that all men are equal before that Christian God, with the question of the Papal infallibility and the Catholic Church hierarchy, or any other church hierarchy that are mostly questions of internal organization of those churches.