Did Minoan tried to invade Egypt

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
Miletus and some other sites in the Aegean such as Akrotiri seem to have been Minoan colonies. They had some cultural influence over the Eastern Mediterranean: Cypro Minoan, the script used in Cyprus in the Late Bronze Age originated from Linear A, the Minoan script, and Minoan frescoes were appreciated by the kings of Egypt and the Levant.
That said I don't think they had power over the Eastern Mediterranean, because at the time there weren't real war ships, so they hardly could rule the whole Eastern Mediterranean sea, they likely controlled most of the Aegean however.
So it's fare to say we have no evidence nor cause to believe the Minoans had the wherewithall (manpower, resources) to invade Egypt.

Aug 2018
Italy
So it's fare to say we have no evidence nor cause to believe the Minoans had the wherewithall (manpower, resources) to invade Egypt.
They probably could have raided it but there's no evidence they ever did. An invasion would have failed badly anyway, at best they could have gotten away with looting some coastal settlements, but doing so would have compromised their relations with Egypt so I doubt they would have thought of doing that, and no ancient Near Eastern text ever refers to Minoan raiders.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky
Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
They probably could have raided it but there's no evidence they ever did. An invasion would have failed badly anyway, at best they could have gotten away with looting some coastal settlements, but doing so would have compromised their relations with Egypt so I doubt they would have thought of doing that, and no ancient Near Eastern text ever refers to Minoan raiders.
Just a word on that last comment ( "no ancient Near Eastern text ever refers to Minoan raiders" ), we today, do not know what the Minoan's called themselves. We only use Minoan after the suggestion of Arthur Evans, not from any ancient script or textual reference.
So they could be there under a name as yet to be recognised.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
At the time of the later Sea People attacks, Minoans and Mycenaeans were in serious decline; I suspect a bunch of warlords and strong men ran things, so there weren't organized empires attacking Egypt, but a bunch of warlords (Odysseus) and others raiding Egypt with other peoples, as part of their piratical activities.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
At the time of the later Sea People attacks, Minoans and Mycenaeans were in serious decline; I suspect a bunch of warlords and strong men ran things, so there weren't organized empires attacking Egypt, but a bunch of warlords (Odysseus) and others raiding Egypt with other peoples, as part of their piratical activities.
In fact, I had lattely heard that some archeologist/historians are wondering if Minoans were a kingdom or rather "republic" (in Athens/Venezia sense).

Apr 2019
Ireland
Sanford Holst in his book 'Phoenician Secrets' postulates that the Minoan Civilisation's maritime strength came as a result of a Phoenician and a Cretan partnership or understanding. I have to say that it goes against everything I learned before about the Minoans and would just like to know if anyone else would find any relevance in it or dismiss it as unscholarly?

It would seem to me that if the Minoans could trade with Egypt that they would not gain anything from trying to invade, unless it was to gain further trading rights, like a trading port - an ancient 'Hong Kong' or 'Macao'.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Just of the top of my head , Minoans had much to gain and little to loose by being on excellent terms with Egypt
much less to be on good terms with the Phoenicians who were basically OK
but still , commercial rivals as far as Western Mediterranean area was concerned