Did Muhammad Exist?

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
I don't know why some people expect a ton of material written about Jesus outside the Gospels and other texts that talk about Christians. Jesus was a preacher in Judea and a preacher who was not really active for all that long, he never left Judea, never really challenged Roman authority except making some vague speeches about the kingdom of God and was crucified, not something terribly uncommon. Someone like Judas of Gamala who actually resisted Rome would have been considered a more important person.
Just because someone is interested in the exact nature of the evidence for a particular claim does not mean that someone is "expecting" anything.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Just because someone is interested in the exact nature of the evidence for a particular claim does not mean that someone is "expecting" anything.
I wasn't really pointing a finger at you, I was making a general statement.

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Why does anybody have to be implying anything ? I am not implying anything.

There are multiple reasons why a document can fit within a particular tradition and still be a forgery. This fact is just part of the analysis that comes with the due diligence applied to secondary information.

I guess we are stipulating that Sebeos' "history" was an attribution to an anoynomously written manuscript and that there is uncertainty in regard to the provenance of the manuscript.
Yeah, more or less. We generally know a lot less about individual scribes in the non-Latin world, and late, lost, damaged, or mutilated manuscripts are the name of the game. Nothing suggests to me that Pseudo-Sebeos' testimony on early Islam should be dismissed, and the work is a highly valuable account of politics of the mid-seventh century, for which we otherwise have to depend on later sources.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
In Birmingham ? really ? of all places

These tests provide a range of dates, showing that, with a probability of more than 95%, the parchment was from between 568 and 645.

Which of course creates a problem since acoording to canon, the revelations forming the base of the Koran started in 610 only....
Radiocarbon dates are reported in the format (a year +- deviation) along with confidence level. The actual year generated by radiocarbon dating process would be the mid-point of the range (568-645).

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
I don't know why some people expect a ton of material written about Jesus outside the Gospels and other texts that talk about Christians. Jesus was a preacher in Judea and a preacher who was not really active for all that long, he never left Judea, never really challenged Roman authority except making some vague speeches about the kingdom of God and was crucified, not something terribly uncommon. Someone like Judas of Gamala who actually resisted Rome would have been considered a more important person.
Except that the above is all conjecture... There is nothing to prove it...