Did One-Eyed Warriors Fight Effectively in Melee Combat?

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Some knights wore face shields that only had a few narrow vision slits so that even a knight with two good eyes still went into battle with only a limited field of view. If a warrior lost an eye and did not want to retire, he would/ could train himself in a new fighting style that minimized his exposure to his blind side. Just being aware of his vulnerability would heighten his sense of awareness. It's true that when you lose one sense the other senses compensate. His sense of hearing on his blind side would probably become more acute. Such a warrior would be more vulnerable, but he could still be effective.

Aug 2014
Australia
"Effective" is relative. A very good fighter will still be pretty good if he lost an eye but obviously his capacity to fight will be compromised.

Jul 2016
USA
Fighting is far more about the psychological than small benefits of depth perception. A fercocious, fearless, strong, fast, big, skilled, well armed and armored one eyed warrior is going to do well enough, especially after getting used to having one eye.

Feb 2016
Japan
Maybe if he’s just lost his eye s few seconds before then he’d be at a disadvantage.
But if he’s had time to recouperate I’m sure he’d have learnt to adjust to it and it wouldn’t affect his abilities.

Sep 2017
United States
Maybe if he’s just lost his eye s few seconds before then he’d be at a disadvantage.
But if he’s had time to recouperate I’m sure he’d have learnt to adjust to it and it wouldn’t affect his abilities.
If he had just lost his eye, I'm sure the pain alone would cripple him pretty well, though maybe the adrenaline would be enough in that continuous melee to keep him fighting.

Soon as he got pulled away though I bet he'd be through fighting for awhile.

Jul 2016
USA
If he had just lost his eye, I'm sure the pain alone would cripple him pretty well, though maybe the adrenaline would be enough in that continuous melee to keep him fighting.

Soon as he got pulled away though I bet he'd be through fighting for awhile.
I got eye gouged once and the dude's nail scratched my cornea badly. Of my many others injuries in life, that was the most uncomfortable. It was my right eye but it made me clench my left eye shut too, I couldn't even get that one to stay open for nearly 10-15 minutes, it just didn't want to obey.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
"And no wonder, when one thinks of the deeds of the individual soldiers, either of Cassius Scaeva the centurion, or of Gauis Acilus of the rank and file, not to mention others. Scaeva, with one eye gone, his thigh and shoulder wounded, and his shield bored through in a hundred and twenty places, continued to guard the gate of a fortress put in his charge."

Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius

Last edited: