Did Rommel ever have panic attacks?

Jun 2016
sydney
I have had several, approaching 50 now but here is one example to do with General Erwin Rommel for the military experts to clarify:

On the night of the 13th Rommel ordered another withdrawal, and now the animosity between German and Italian broke into conflict. In several cases Germans who had no vehicles stole Italian vehicles at gunpoint, and some German battalions stealthily crept out of the line without bothering to notify let alone coordinate with, the Italians on the flank. The sun had risen before some Italians learned of the retreat. This meant that much heavy equipment was left behind, including precious anti-tank guns, and tens of thousands of Italians began walking across a flat desert swept by a cold wind under the eyes of every pilot in the Allied air force.
(The Bologna Division: 19 November ? 10 December, 1941 | Comando Supremo
The Bologna Division: 19 November – 10 December, 1941)

PS. This has to do with Operation Crusader (November/December 1941) not the Second Battle of El Alamein (October/November 1942)

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Australia
Sorry but how does ordering a withdrawal constitute a panic attack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 2016
sydney
What I mean is that he failed to inform the Italian generals and Italian divisions fighting for their lives along the Gazala Line. Is this normal procedure during wartime or is it just okay to abandon the Italian Army?

Oct 2013
Australia
Maybe he had some other motive (ie prioritising Germans over Italians) which might not have had anything to do with panic. I am not knowledgeable about this event so I am just speculating...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk