Did Ronald Reagan's assassination attempt affect his life expectancy?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did John Hinckley's unsuccessful attempt to kill Ronald Reagan have any impact on Reagan's life expectancy? Has anyone ever commented or speculated about this?

Reagan was the oldest U.S. President ever at the time of his death and I wonder if he could have lived longer if he hadn't been shot back in 1981.

BTW, I don't know if this question deserves its own thread, but it's a shame that, AFAIK, there is no thread where we can ask random questions about history. I don't want to create a new thread every time I have a new history question and thus it would be nice to have such an all-encompassing history question thread.

Chlodio

Ad Honorem
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Given that Reagan lived more than ten years after leaving the White House and given that he made it past 90, I'd say no, the assassination attempt did not shorten his life.

As to starting multiple threads or not, I think you're using the forum tool exactly as it should be used. Each question should have its own thread. Burying random questions in other threads would result in people who could contribute remaining unaware of your question's existence.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Although it did not affect his life expectancy, I can't help if it did not affect his mental faculties. It seems to me that the Alzheimer Reagan suffered from began during his presidency. It hen he said he could not remember when testifying about the Iran-Contra Afrair, he was telling the truth. The stress of getting shot might have t iggered the Alzheimer's. But we will never know.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Given that Reagan lived more than ten years after leaving the White House and given that he made it past 90, I'd say no, the assassination attempt did not shorten his life.
James Brady lived for more than three decades after being shot and yet his death was still labeled a homicide, though.

As to starting multiple threads or not, I think you're using the forum tool exactly as it should be used. Each question should have its own thread. Burying random questions in other threads would result in people who could contribute remaining unaware of your question's existence.
Good and agreed. :)

Although it did not affect his life expectancy, I can't help if it did not affect his mental faculties. It seems to me that the Alzheimer Reagan suffered from began during his presidency. It hen he said he could not remember when testifying about the Iran-Contra Afrair, he was telling the truth. The stress of getting shot might have t iggered the Alzheimer's. But we will never know.
You mean that the shooting triggered the beginning of his Alzheimer's as a result of it causing his immune system to go bonkers?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
James Brady lived for more than three decades after being shot and yet his death was still labeled a homicide, though.

Good and agreed. :)

You mean that the shooting triggered the beginning of his Alzheimer's as a result of it causing his immune system to go bonkers?

Stress does bad things, and being shot would put a lot of stress on the body. We know that stress can negatively impact the immune system. No way of proving it, just speculation.